Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hash Visited 11/8/2013 3.5 Forks

Hash 1357 N Western Ave (between Potomac Ave & Hirsch St), ChicagoIL 60622



Hash isn't in the greatest of neighborhoods (you do have to drive through some pretty sketchy parts of Chicago) but it's a really solid cafe with food that has a slight Mexican twist.  It's more of a casual eats place since there is no waitstaff, but that was totally ok since I was really looking for something pretty low key that day anyways. 

The menu has a solid breakfast section as well as many sandwich, soup and salads options.  I love a good Mexican breakfast, so I got the chilaquiles with scrambled eggs and added avocado and chorizo for $3 extra.  It's a seat-yourself type of place but since we were there on a random Friday afternoon, we had no trouble finding a place to sit.  As I mentioned before, it's very low key (you order your food at the counter and grab your own silverware), so if you want something more formal, this isn't the place for you.  Deanna got the Humboldt which consisted of black beans, hominy, tomatoes, chihuahua cheese, soyrizo (vegetarian chorizo) with a poached egg.  I have to note that they poached the egg perfectly with a nice yolky center (for those of you who read my blog frequently, you know how much of a poached egg freak I am).  I had a small bite of the dish and it had a lot of solid flavor to it.  As for my chilaquiles, the dish is essentially tortilla with black beans, tomato, jalepeno, chihuahua cheese, sour cream and salsa verde.  The salsa was fantastic - not spicy at all but it added a great tang to the dish.  I would have poured Deanna's salsa on my dish too but that would have been a bit overkill but it was really a great addition to the plate.  The chorizo and avocado were totally worth the extra price as they added some nice saltiness and "healthiness" to the dish.  The eggs were scrambled well (I asked for them to be scrambled soft and they were a bit more hard than I would like but it wasn't a dealbreaker) and was a nice breakfast touch to the dish.  I was starving because we got a late start to the morning,  so this meal totally hit the spot in every way.  I ate everything on the plate including the crust on my toast! In the true low key spirit, you do have to bus your own tables, so again, this is much more like a neighborhood cafe than sit down restaurant. 

What I love about Chicago is that it's so spread out and in any neighborhood (good or bad) you can always find great places to eat.  This place is totally not on the beaten path or near anything remotely exciting, but it's a solid brunch/lunch spot if you're looking for something tasty, filling and no frills. Since most people in Chicago have cars, I would say it's definitely worth checking out if you have a car, but if you don't, then I wouldn't necessarily get on the El or bus to get to this place.  Total bill:  $13

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: