Saturday, November 23, 2013

Ki Sushi Visited 11/19/2013 3.5 Forks

Ki Sushi 122 Smith St., (between Dean St & Pacific St), BrooklynNY 11201



Even though I've been Smith Street a bunch of times, I've never actually been to Ki Sushi, so when a long time high school friend was in town, staying not too far from Smith Street and had a craving for sushi, Ki Sushi seemed like the perfect fit.  We met on a Tuesday night and I was surprised at how crowded it was for a random weekday night.  I had read about Ki in Eater as having one of the best omakase deals and when I looked at the menu, they indeed had an option for $45 - which is quite the steal!  But I wasn't quite in the mood for an omakase meal and was torn between getting a sashimi combo or a bunch of rolls.  This is one of the sushi places that had tons and tons of different kinds of fancy rolls (which I don't think always sound that good because you end up not tasting the fish at all) - so not really a purist high-end sushi place like Ushiwakamaru or Sushi of Gari, but I still love places like this because the fish is still good but you aren't paying crazy town prices.  I opted to go with the Sashimi Deluxe ($27) - which, if you are curious, has 3 more pieces compared to the Sashimi Deluxe ($25).  I figured for $2, why not get the 3 extra pieces?

Martha got the Volcano roll ($16) and a spicy tuna roll ($6).    We both had a side garden salad and while the ginger dressing was delicious, it felt like the salad had been sitting in the fridge for a while because the lettuce was super cold and it had a bit too much of iceberg rind for my liking - I prefer more of the leaf vs. the rind.  My sashimi came out and it was a good number of fish:  salmon, tuna, white tuna, yellowtail, whitefish, and mackerel (3 of each).  So basically your standard sashimi combo.  The fish was tasted fresh and it was a solid sashimi dish - no frills, but hits the spot.  Usually my standard of mind blowing sashimi is how the mackerel tastes - if it doesn't come off as fishy, then the fish is definitely on the higher end, if it's got a mild fish taste, then the fish is good and if it's super fishy, then I should run out of the place.  This was the passable version - which is how most places are.  I had one of the volcano rolls and it was tasty and it made me kind of wish I had gotten a bunch of rolls instead.  I figured the sashimi would be healthier without all the rice but of course I just ended up eating the entire bowl of white rice anyways.   

This is one of those basic but good sushi neighborhood joints that I wish I had near my apt, but don't. Yes, it's got a bunch of ridiculous rolls that have fruit in it (eww) and might have too many ingredients shoved into a roll, but if I had a place like this in my 'hood I would definitely go frequently to satisfy a sushi craving at an affordable price and I might even check out the omakase next time.  Total bill:  $45/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: