Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Heights Visited 12/29/2013 3 Forks

The Heights  3115 14th St NWWashington, DC 20010



I usually don't spend a whole lot of time in Washington DC proper, but now that a lot of my high school friends who came back to live in the area actually live in the city vs. the suburbs, I've been checking out the city more and more.  And you know what? It's totally different from what I remember as a kid.  The area surrounding 14th street is bustling with tons of great shops and restaurants and has kind of changed my perspective on living in DC (although I don't see that happening anytime soon). 

The Heights is your standard cute, neighborhood American joint.  There were 8 of us, so it was great that they were able to accommodate all of us and the waiter was really nice and very gracious (especially since we had an active toddler at the table with us).  The menu has your basic brunch fare:  benedict, breakfast platter, bacon/sausage and eggs, omelets, etc.  They also have a lunch menu but Martha and Meredith had made a comment that their last non-brunch meal wasn't super stellar, so I decided forgo the fish tacos and stick with breakfast type food.  I opted for the huevos motulenos ($10.50) - which is pretty like a huevos rancheros.  If you like bloody marys, they have a great make- your-own bloody mary menu where you can get weird things like old bay seasoning, shrimp, blue cheese, and beef broth in it.  The huevos motulenos came with eggs (I chose scrambled), chicken, plantains, avocado, black beans and salsa.  I was a bit disappointed that it only came with 2 small and slightly dried out corn tortillas, but if there were more of them it probably would have filled me up a lot faster.  The flavors of the dish were fine but I would have liked more spicy salsa added to the top of it. The chicken was a bit too chunky for the dish and it probably would have worked better as a shredded chicken.  While I love plantains, it didn't really add to much to the dish.  The avocados were surprisingly nice and ripe (it is the dead of winter right now), however mashing them up into guacamole might have been a better route for the overall dish.  While it seems like I have a lot of "suggestions" for the dish, it got the job done for brunch.  I didn't try anyone else's food but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves as all our plates were fairly empty by the end of the meal. 

All in all, it was the right spot for such a big group and the waiter was really patient and nicely attentive (without being too annoying).  The food wasn't particularly outstanding but this was the kind of meal where it was more about the company of good friends and catching up versus having a fine dining experience.  Total bill:  $19/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: