Sunday, March 2, 2014

Gee Whiz Diner Visited 2/25/2014 3 Forks

Gee Whiz Diner  295 Greenwich St., New YorkNY 10007



There's not much to say here except it's your classic greasy not so spectacular diner in food, service and environment.  I will say that I do have a soft spot for diner food, although it's usually in the morning and/or after a night of drinking.  Lisa and I went for lunch during a work week mostly because I had never been here so I wanted to check it out.

In true diner fashion, the menu has a million and one dishes making it hard to decide what to get.  The funny thing is that because of its location, they have a "business man's lunch"section - it's basically an entree and it comes with a soup or salad and a drink.  I opted to go for a turkey burger with cheese and the beef barely soup with a diet coke ($11).  The soup was not very big, probably barely a full cup size. The soup itself a pretty standard soup with a pretty decent level of flavor and salt.  It was a good "appetizer" in anticipation of my turkey burger.  The turkey burger was a good size burger width wise but I could tell that it wasn't a fresh patty and was most likely frozen.  It didn't have too much juiciness, thickness or grilled flavor to it but it was very filling.  The main reason I didn't give this place less than 3 forks was due to the fries.  Damn, they were pretty good.  They were thick, crispy, salty and very very addictive.  It really helped with making the overall burger experience much more palatable because otherwise, if it was just the burger and soup, I definitely would have been wanting something else to complete the meal.

I know that most of the time people don't go to diners for quality food so I'm trying not to be too harsh here.  I also usually get a greasy omelette with homefries when I go to a diner - which is what Lisa got, so maybe next time I come here, I should stick to more breakfast-y type food.  Total bill:  $13/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp  

No comments: