Thursday, April 24, 2014

Shin Yeh Visited 4/15/2014 4 Forks

Shin Yeh 5F, No. 11, Songshou Rd., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City (Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Xinyi Branch A11 Buildling) TaipeiTaiwan




For anyone who has read this blog for a while, you will know that I am a huge sucker for a good buffet.  Yes - I know it's kind of tacky and low brow but there's just something about it that I just love. What's even more enticing is an Asian buffet.  My mom and I had tried to go to Shin Yeh last year when I was in Taiwan but the timing just didn't work out, so luckily this time we were able to find time for it.  They have a regular lunch buffet from 11:30-2:30, a lightly reduced option for less money from 2:30-4:30 and then a dinner option.  We decided to go to the regular lunch option since the timing just worked better for us. 

What's great about this place is the variety of yummy and distincly Asian options.  There's a sushi bar where they make hand rolls, regular rolls, sushi and sashimi.  There's a cold seafood station with New Zealand green mussels and shrimp cocktail.  There's a warm station with shrimp and veggie tempura, fried eggplant and fish jaw.  They also had a carving station, soup station, salad bar and full dessert bar.  So it's almost impossible to not find something to eat here.  I was still recovering from the stomach flu but I was so excited at all the possibilities that I had to try almost everything they had.  While the sushi wasn't 5 star quality, it was just as good as a standard neighborhood joint.  I thought the mussels were fantastic - very plump and easy to eat.  The shrimp was of the sweet variety and still had the head on - but there wasn't much to suck out of it.  But what I loved the most of the fish jaw.  For those who don't eat whole fish often, the secret is that some of the best meat is in the head/cheek/jaw area.  In the US, if you go to a nice Japanese place and order the jaw, it can easily cost you $14+ a dish.  So clearly I went to town and had about 3 pieces here.  I was so stuffed from trying (and coming back for 2nds and 3rds) of all the savory foods that I couldn't manage the dessert bar.  I'm usually not a big fan of Asian dessert although I think the ones here were more Western style.  I finished my meal with some nice watermelon slices.   Oh and before I forget, this buffet also comes with unlimited red or white wine and what looked like shots of Chinese whiskey.  So totally easy to get wasted here too. 

While I was in town for a sad reason, I was glad that I was able to finally check this place out before I left.  It's a bit bittersweet to think that I may not return to Taiwan ever or at least in a long time and despite all my bitching and complaining, I can't deny that Taiwan has some of the world's best and cheapest food out there.   Total bill:  $50 for 2 people 

Photo Credit:  Tripadvisor

No comments: