Sunday, April 20, 2014

Thai Basil Signature Visited 4/9/2014 3 Forks

Thai Basil Signature 114 W Adams St, Ste 104, PhoenixAZ 85003



Day two of my conference and I was having a hankering for Asian food and luckily stumbled upon this Thai place randomly while looking for another restaurant.  I have always had a soft spot for Thai lunch specials in NYC, so I was curious if a Thai place in Phoenix would have the same deal.  And sure enough they did.  This place is smack in the middle of downtown Phoenix so it was full of people on their lunch break and a few of us from the conference. 

Their menu has the usual line-up for Thai dishes:  pad thai, curries, fried rice, drunken noodles, etc. You get a spring roll and soup included in your meal as well.  While I usually would just go for a pad thai, I was in the mood for a broad flat noodle and got the spicy noodles with shrimp ($9.95) and a thai ice tea.  I chose that dish over the drunken noodle because it had all the same vegetables as the drunken noodle but it also had bean sprouts too which I love.  I guess I didn't read the menu too carefully because I soon discovered that the spicy noodle was a pan fried skinny noodle and not the wide noodle kind.  Opps, that was my bad.  They first serve you a clear vegetable soup, which honestly with the heat I would have preferred a salad instead but it was totally fine.  The noodle and spring roll came out on the same plate and it was a pretty good sized dish of noodles.  I had asked for medium spicy but it still had a big kick to it.  Again, it was totally my fault for not reading the menu more carefully but I was disappointed that it was the wide noodle but it was totally fine with the skinny noodles.  It was really just your basic standard spicy noodle dish.  Nothing bad nothing great.  It got the job done in terms of filling me up and satisfying my craving.  The shrimp were decent sized and cooked well and the vegetables were aplenty on the dish.  

All in all, I'm glad I found this place and it was a nice affordable lunch option compared to my almost $30 Pizza Bianco experience the other day.  Next time I'll just learn to read the menu more carefully or just stick with a pad thai option.  Total bill:  $15 with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp 

No comments: