Friday, May 23, 2014

Bristol Visited 5/17/2014 2.5 Forks

Bristol 152 N Damen Ave., ChicagoIL 60647



Bristol had been listed on Zagat's new brunch places to check out and since it was within walking distance from Deanna's it was a no brainer to check it out.  It's your classic American hipster farm to table type place - so very Brooklyn and I felt right at home.  The brunch menu has a nice variety of dishes from whole wheat pancakes, ham benedicts, to a hangover breakfast with pork belly and noodles.   But they had a chilaquiles ($12) on the menu and I'm always a huge fan of that dish, so I ordered that along with a side of breakfast potatoes ($4) while Deanna got the quiche ($11).  

The best chilaquiles I've had are usually at mom and pop Mexican joints so I am a bit weary of fancy ones like this but this one had braised pork, so how bad could it be?  Well - it wasn't bad but I wasn't all too impressed by it either.  It came with braised pork, 1 fried egg, cilantro, queso fresco as well as the usual base layer of tortillas on the bottom.  My problem with the dish was that it was too dry - there was too much tortilla, only 1 fried egg which lent to a lack of runny yolk for all that pork and the pork itself was on the dry side.  It really needed a good helping of salsa verde or crema to add moisture to the whole dish.  I will say that the egg was perfectly fried and the presentation of the dish was visually stunning.  It just felt like I was eating a bunch of dried out tortilla pieces at one point.  While I was rather disappointed by my main dish, but the breakfast potatoes were quite good that it helped to make up for some of the lack of disappointment.  They weren't as addictive as the sweet potatoes at BellyQ but they were nice and crispy.  Basically they were whole baby potatoes that were roasted to the point of them being brunt but all in a good way.  I tried a small bite of Deanna's quiche and it was a very pleasant bite with mushroom and fontina cheese.  

Overall, the experience was fine but I just wasn't feeling my chilaquiles.  I felt full but it was probably because I was just eating a lot of carbs but I wasn't super satisfied.  Apparently this place gets a lot of rave reviews and they are well known for the hand crafted cocktails, so perhaps I would come back for a post-dinner cocktail but not sure if I would come back from brunch.  Total bill:  $42 for 2 people with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: