Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Little Goat Visited 5/14/2014 4 Forks

Little Goat 820 W Randolph St., ChicagoIL 60607



I consider Chicago my 2nd home after having spent time there in college and going back almost every year since I graduated to see friends.  Now that one of my main work clients is based there, I find myself there several times a year.  So I'm always on the hunt for great restaurant recommendations in Chicago.

A few years ago I finally made it to Girl and the Goat and was blown away by it  (in fact it's one of my few 5 star reviews).  I had heard about the spin off Little Goat but just never made it over there since it's kind of in an industrial area that's not really all that walkable from most places.  But after finding myself at a loss of where to go for a late night dinner, I quickly checked opentable and was surprised to find that they had several openings that night.  I knew it was more of a diner-like place that I've always been ok with breakfast for dinner.  The food here is most definitely more upscale food than your typical diner - everything has got a funky high end twist to it all.   My mind was totally swimming with all the options but since it was past 9pm, I felt like I should have something "healthier" so I opted for the Greek town Chicken salad and a small side of grits to fill my breakfast craving.  I'm a sucker for a good greek salad and this one did not disappoint. It was served on a naan base and then topped with griddled chicken, hummus, cucumber, arugula, pickled red onion, red peppers, tzatziki, and then sheep's feta.  While it wasn't the purist greek salad, the combination of all the ingredients were delicious and it still felt mildly healthy.  The naan was a nice different touch and helped make the salad taste more filling.  As for the grits, it was nice, creamy with a nice hint of cheese to it.  Since I was the only one eating it, I could only manage to fit 3-5 bites before calling it a day but it was a good breakfast injection at 10pm at night.  I was surprised at how many people were there so late at night considering it's not your typical greasy diner.  While it's not as mind blowing as the food as Girl and the Goat, it was still quite a pleasant experience.  I could see it being a really fun place for brunch or lunch, but I guess that will have to wait until next time.  Total bill:  $120 for 3 people with tax and tip.

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: