Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Pavilion Visited 6/4/2014 2.5 Forks

The Pavilion 20 Union Square West, New York CityNY 10003



For those of you who have been in NYC long enough, you'll know that this place used to be the popular Luna Park.  It's hard not to be drawn to this place due to it's convenient location right in the middle of Union Square and it's lovely outdoor seating. 

I was meeting the girls there for dinner and luckily they were able to seat Jenn and I as an incomplete party at a table outside while we waited for Maggie and Jill - which is a nice gesture as many places in NYC won't do that.   We wanted to order an appetizer while we waited but our waiter never bothered coming over to ask us if we wanted anything.  So we waited and waited until we finally got his attention and ordered the calamari ($13) to start.  It was your standard fried calamari and a good starter while we waited for the rest of our party.  When we finally got around to ordering dinner, I opted to go for something lighter since I had just come back from vacation and felt like I needed to eat healthier.  So I ordered the salmon crudo ($9) and the Greek salad ($12.50).  The waiter had asked me whether I wanted them together or the crudo first and I said together.  15 minutes later he came out and asked the exact same question and had to repeat back all of our orders - never a good sign.  Luckily they did come out together and the salmon crudo (it did not look like the picture above) was actually pretty nice with slices of citrus on there and a white-soy dressing.   It was a nice light summer dish.  The Greek Salad was served with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions, olives, crutons, feta and then dressed with a lemon vinaigrette.  It was a basic salad but I wasn't really impressed by it nor did I think it was worth $13.  I'm guessing (or really hoping) that all of the produce came from the neighboring Union Square farmer's market and while the produce tasted organic and good, it really just tasted like a salad that I could have made at home.  There wasn't enough feta in it and there was too much lettuce in it.  I didn't even finish the salad - not because it was really bad but I just didn't want to finish it for the sake of finishing it. 

I would have ordinarily given this place a middle of the road 3 forks but the service was really just god awful.  It took forever to get any service and the service we did get was quite inattentive.  What really broke the carmel's back was that they gave us the wrong bill and didn't even realize it.  I had to reivew the bill and tell him of the mistake - which was frustrating because we had already spent tons of time chasing him down for the bill in the first place.   Total bill:  $48/pp with tip, tax and lots of wine

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: