Monday, July 21, 2014

Cevich Visited 7/8/2014 3 Forks

Cevich  21 E 15th St., New YorkNY 10003



I know what you're thinking...Take out ceviche?!  Isn't that kind of gross?  In all honesty, until I tried Cevich, I probably won't have totally disagreed with you.  The concept of having fresh fish be the center point of a fast food operation seems very counter intuitive.  While Cevich is most definitely not restaurant quality ceviche, it wasn't really bad and was a somewhat healthy alternative to real take out.   It's kind of like the Chipotle of ceviche - which isn't meant to be an insult since I do love Chipotle. 

While I've always been a huge fan of ceviche, after all my recent travels to South America, I've become even more in love with it this year.  I would eat it every day if I could.  But it's definitely not something you should get anywhere because of the type of ingredients used in it (namely the raw fish part).   So I was super curious about being able to have access to ceviche on the go whenever I wanted at Cevich. The menu here is broken down into a few concepts:  solo style, bowls, tacos and burritos.  I don't understand this craze of putting everything in a taco or burrito form and I wasn't about to find out about it here.  I decided to stick to a bowl which frankly isn't really that authentic since ceviche doesn't normally get served on a bed rice or or quinoa but it sounded like it would be a more filling meal.  You first start by choosing your base of either white fish, shrimp, salmon (extra $1.75) or you can get a mushroom medley (I have no idea what this is doing on the menu.  I mean you're at a CEVICHE take out place, if you don't eat fish, don't come here).  Then you choose the style of how you want your fish to be prepared.  While I am definitely an adventurous eater, I decided to take a pass on styles that involved mixing my fish with feta cheese or guava mint sauce.  I stuck with a more traditional style of white fish Ecuadorian style - roasted red pepper, tomato, avocado, red onion and cilantro on a bed of coconut rice ($13.50). 

It was pretty large and filling bowl, especially with the coconut rice.  The fish had a bit of tang and citrus flavor and there was lots of fish in the bowl vs. just being filled with the other ingredients which I appreciated.  I definitely thought that it was a decent healthy alternative to other more bad-for-you take out options such as eating a huge container of Thai or Chinese food  (not that I don't love them!).  If you go in with the expectation that you're not going to get authentic Peruvian ceviche but a solid take out option, you'll be pleasantly happy with your meal.   Oh and I would probably continue to stick with the basics and avoid getting a combo hat has mayo, pepper jack cheese or mango in it.  Total bill:  $16.33 with tax

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: