Sunday, August 31, 2014

III Forks Visited 8/25/2014 4 Forks

III Forks 1201 San Jacinto St., HoustonTX 77002



So not to be super judgey but I don't there's much Texas does better foodwise than NYC except in two categories - Mexican and Steaks.  I was in Houston for a client meeting and the only type of restaurants downtown that were worth of a client dinner were all steak houses.  Luckily, everyone in our party ate meat so going to a steak house was not an issue.

I had to laugh that this place is called Three Forks and luckily for them they were better than 3 forks. Our waiter did an excellent job of describing all the dishes and told all of us that their 3 fork salad was "award winning".   Everyone at the table ended up ordering it but I bucked the trend and ordered the ahi tuna appetizer ($16) and went with the petite filet mignon ($36) with King's Butter toppping (essentially a giant pat of truffle butter for an extra $8).   The tuna appetizer was a about 5-6 thin slices of tuna, seasoned with a mix of spices and lightly grilled.   It wasn't quite as rare as I would have liked but it was a good start to the meal none the less.  In addition to the steaks we all ordered, we got a bunch of sides to go with our meal:  mashed potatoes, lobster mac and cheese, and sweet potato hash (all $10).  As you can see there wasn't a vegetable in sight.  When the steak first came out, I was a bit disappointed in the presentation of the steak just sitting by its lonesome self on a giant white plate.  But then the helpful waitstaff actually comes around and helps plate all the side dishes for you in addition to bringing out a plate of grilled tomatoes and spring onions to go with your meat.  As soon as I cut into my filet I knew it would be a good one.  It was perfectly rare in the center but not blue rare.  The king's butter was the perfect heart stopping topping to it although I did have to scrap off half of it for fear that I would actually end up with a heart attack at the table if I ate all of it.  I hadn't had steak in a long time and this made we remember why I love steak.  It was juicy, moist but with the right amount of sear on the outside.  Heavenly.  The lobster mac and cheese was good with the right amount of cheese - although obviously I always wish there is more lobster in everything.    I'm glad that I got the petite filet because I didn't finish it which made me super sad to leave that kind of meat on the plate to only be thrown away.

Of course, I left some small room for dessert and I split the bread pudding ($9) with someone else at the table.  It was very sweet - almost too sweet for me.  It was also a bit heavy on the sauce which is the fatal mistake most places make with bread pudding - a good bread pudding can still be delicious without being sauce heavy or dense like a rock (see Maialino).  Overall, it was still a very solid dinner and made ever better with several bottles of a great unfiltered California red wine.   I can't say I was a huge fan of Houston itself, but Texas does know how to do steak right.

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: