Saturday, September 13, 2014

Ramen Yebisu Visited 9/7/2014 2.5 Forks

Ramen Yebisu 126 N 6th St., New YorkNY 11211



After a long day of football watching and roaming the streets of Williamsburg, Aarti and I were ready to finish the afternoon off with some ramen.  Even though I have lived in this 'hood for over 4 years and seen Ramen Yebisu a bunch of times, I've actually never been there so I was up for trying it out. It's pretty tiny inside, which is not too different from most ramen joints, but luckily we were able to get two stools at the bar and we got a nice view of the open kitchen. 

The menu is a pretty standard ramen menu:  miso, shoyu, and shio ramen and they also had a chicken, seafood and veggie option as well as two non-soup based ramens.  I usually get miso since it's a bit of a lighter broth and this one was describe as having a soybean paste broth with ground pork, beansprouts, onion, garlic, bamboo shoots, scallion, sesame seeds and crispy onion ($12) and I added an egg for $2 because really, you can't have ramen without an egg.  That actually kind of annoyed me that the egg was extra because to me that is a staple of any ramen dish.  In any case, I probably should have read the ingredients more carefully because it clearly said that it came with ground pork and not the sliced pork that I'm normally used to in ramen.  Obviously, Aarti got the veggie option ($12) which is a soybean soup with mushroom, scallion, onion, bamboos shoots, bean sprouts, and seaweed. 

Despite the place being tiny, we waited a long time for our food which was surprising considering they only have 8 dishes and they are frankly all the same thing with just 1-2 variations to it.  Once we got our ramen, I realized that I probably should have ordered the shoyu or the shio ramen because they had the sliced pork in it and not the ground pork.  It just didn't have the same texture or flavor profile to it using the ground pork.  The noodles themselves were nice and chewy, so I didn't really have a problem with them.  The broth was basic and standard for a ramen broth (read:  super salty) but I just really felt like it wasn't hearty enough without the sliced roast pork.  Instead, it felt heavy on a salty broth and noodles but not much else.   I was also missing the seaweed to the ramen which also did not come with my dish.  I really need to be more careful when I'm reading the menu.   Even though I finished my bowl of noodles, I left feeling kind of bummed out by my choice.  Plus the fact that it's cash only also annoyed me.  I'm not entirely sure I would come back and try another dish, but given the lack of other ramen places in the neighborhood, I'm not sure what other ramen options I really have.  Total bill:  $16/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: