Saturday, October 4, 2014

Greenpoint Fish and Lobster Co. Visited 9/27/2014 4 Forks

Greenpoint Fish and Lobster Co.  114 Nassau Ave., BrooklynNY 11222



I always suspected that after Williamsburg, Greenpoint would be the next area to blow up and places like the Greenpoint Fish and Lobster Co. re-affirm that belief and it also makes me feel like I could live in Greenpoint despite its location.  There are actually a bunch of great places that are within a fairly reasonable walking distance from the Bedford stop on the L train including this place.  First thing you should know is that Greenpoint Fish and Lobster is part retail fish market and raw bar.  It's pretty small so don't go thinking it's a full fledged restaurant - it's pretty much a few bar stools and then 3 small two top tables.

The menu is reflective of what's fresh and available that day - so it's not a huge menu but there are good staple items of crudo, fish tacos, whole lobster and a variety of oysters.  Holly and I split the fluke crudo and we both got the fish tacos (you can ask for them grilled or battered).  The fluke crudo came thinly sliced and drizzled with a ton of olive oil and fresh lemon juice.  While the presentation could have used some work, the taste was fantastic.  It was extremely fresh and Holly and I both couldn't get enough of it.  I guess these are the perks of having a fish market literally inside your restaurant.  I'm usually a little weary of taco orders that only come out with two servings but these tacos were very filling and hefty.  They were served on two small soft flour tortillas, several pieces of grilled fish and then covered with a red cabbage slaw, chiptole mayo and sprigs of cilantro.   They were very solid fish tacos and while I did wish that I tried another dish where the freshness of the fish wasn't masked by a lot of other stuff on the plate, I definitely enjoyed my meal and would recommend it to others.  We finished off the meal with an order of both the key lime pie and the chocolate mousse pie - apparently they are both homemade by a friend of the owners.  I was a fan of the key lime - it had a nice hint of tartness and paired nicely with the graham cracker crust.

All in all, I was pretty pleased with my most recent foray into Greenpoint.  Our waitress was incredibly sweet and nice and even though the place was packed and there was a line forming, they never pressured us to leave, even when we had finished our food and were just sipping on our wine (did I mention that they have rose on tap?!).   If I lived a bit closer, I could definitely seem myself stopping by more often to satisfy my seafood craving.   I'm totally on a Greenpoint kick now, who's with me? Total bill with tip, tax and wine:  $50/pp

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: