Friday, January 16, 2015

Kuma's Corner Visited 1/11/2015 4 Forks

Kuma's Corner 2900 W Belmont Ave., ChicagoIL 60618



I had heard about Kuma's from one of those Food/Travel Channel shows talking about best burgers in the country and Deanna had also mentioned it as a cool place as well.  When I walked in, this place was totally my scene.  It's basically a musty metal bar with a corresponding clientele.  They have whiskey on tap and giant burgers named after all the old school heavy metal rock bands such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Slayer.  The burgers come in regular red meat, veggie, or chicken tender form.  Genius!  All their burgers come with tons and tons of heart stopping toppings and it was really hard to figure out what I wanted on my burger to clog up my arteries.  I landed on the Neurosis burger - it comes with horseradish mayo, sharp cheddar, swiss, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, and onion and a side of fries.  Deanna got the famous Kuma burger which comes with a fried egg, sharp cheddar and bacon (she got it on the side so that I could eat it and it was damn delicious).  

Before we dove into our burgers, we started with a small house salad so that we got some kind of vegetables in our system.  The small was actually pretty big and it came with lettuce, carrot, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion but the best part of the salad was the basil vinaigrette - really unique and fresh tasting.   On to the star of the show - the burger.  It's a big impressive patty - they definitely don't skimp on their meat.  It was piled high with all the ingredients - so much so that I was having a real problem fitting everything into 1 bite.  The bread was nice and sturdy and was able to withstand everything on top of it, but I ended up going sans bun for the 2nd half of my burger because it was just too much food otherwise.  But it was an incredibly juicy patty and the cheese was oozing out of it like nobody's business.  I loved everything about it except for the fact that it was probably really really bad for me and it was incredibly messy to eat.  My one pet peeve of this place was that they have cloth napkins and honestly for a messy burger like this that doesn't do the trick.  I know it's probably not environmentally responsible of me to say, but they really need paper napkins or something more absorbent because there is no way you are not going to need a lot of support for this meal.  Deanna's burger looked awesome because of the perfectly fried egg - gorgeous shiny yoke. But she did mention that it was also incredibly messy with the yolk getting everywhere.   I didn't think I could finish the whole thing but I did - and I can't say that I was actually really proud of it because I was uncomfortably full by the end of  night and very thirsty too.   In fact, the reason I don't rate this place higher is because this meal really sits with you days afterwards.  So be warned.  Total bill:  $28/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: