Saturday, February 7, 2015

Boulton and Watt Visited 2/1/2015 3.5 Forks

Boulton and Watt  5 Ave ANew YorkNY 10009



Boulton and Watt is one of those places that I could have seen myself going to a lot in my 20's because it's right off the F train in the East Village/Lower East Side and the place was packed with people who seemed to have had a hard night the night before in the same neighborhood.  It's a pretty good place for a large group of people and there were 8 of us for brunch, so luckily they secured an entire long table for us.  It's pretty hard to find places in the city that will reserve that many for brunch so definitely keep this place in mind if you ever need to accommodate a large party.

The brunch menu is quite extensive - ranging from pancakes to grits to benedicts to big salads as well as an entire pickled section.  But the best thing about the brunch menu is the $5 brunch cocktails from 10-4pm (bloody mary's, mimosa or sangria).  We all indulged in several cocktails and I opted for the special benedict of the day which was pulled pork benedict on brioche bread.  While I wasn't really hung over from the night before, I was starving and a hearty pork breakfast sounded great.  When the benedict came out, it was a VERY heavy looking dish.  I mean, it's got heaps of sweet pulled pork covered with hollandaise sauce served with 2 very well poached eggs, so that when you cut into it, the yolk oozed perfectly on to everything.  At first I wasn't sure if I was going to be happy with it being on bread instead of an English muffin but based on all the food that was piled on top of it, the thick cut bread as a good choice.  It was a solid benedict but it was one that really sits heavy in your stomach afterwards.  I devoured the whole thing - which I actually kind of regretted later because I could have had half and had been just as satisfied and full.  The dish came with a side of roasted potatoes and they were a bit of a bust. Mine were all over cooked and a bit dried out but in all honesty, that was actually fine with me because the benedict was more than enough to deal with without having to force more carbs down my throat.

I give props to the waitress who was patient in dealing with such a large party with a smile on her face as well as having to deal with us ordering a new round of cocktails every 10 minutes.  While I don't necessarily see myself coming here often because it's not in the most convenient of locales for me, it's a pretty reasonably priced post-hang over, boozy brunch place that is well situated in the East Village.   Total bill:  $33/pp with tax, tip and several drinks.

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: