Saturday, March 28, 2015

Colonie Visited 3/14/2015 4 Forks

Colonie 127 Atlantic Ave., BrooklynNY 11201



Colonie is a Brooklyn standby that I somehow have never gone to in all my years of living in Brooklyn.  So when Vinita and I were looking for a place to meet up in Brooklyn one rainy Saturday afternoon, this place popped into my head.  It's located on Atlantic Ave so it's a bit off all the crazy brunch places on Smith Street but it's still super crowded. 

We grabbed two seats at the bar which was actually the best idea ever because you can get the attention of the bartender much faster and not have to wait for a waiter to come around.  The brunch menu has a lot of good staples:  pancakes, shrimp and grits, scrambles, lox plate, eggs benedict, and a great looking burger.  Vinita and I both ended up getting the leek and gruyere scramble ($13) which comes with toast, potatoes and a salad and a choice of breakfast meat (I got the sausage). 

The scramble itself was great - soft, fluffy and moist.  The combination of the leek and cheese was great although I'll be honest that I'm not sure if I could really tell that there was a lot of leek flavor to it.  The potatoes were your basic but good brunch potatoes and helped to add some starch to the meal.  The sausage was super hearty and you could tell that they were homemade and not some defrosted frozen version.  It was more like a sausage patty rather than a link - which is actually how I prefer them.  The only thing that I would say was a disappointment about the dish would be the salad. It was a nice array of better lettuce and mixed greens but they were a bit heavy handed on the dressing, so that made it a bit too soggy and just overwhelming in general.  

While the food was delicious, so were the cocktails.  We ended up hanging out at the bar for over 3 hours chatting and of course that meant that we had to get a cocktail at some point.  We got a blood orange margarita ($12) and it was fantastic - a great way to kick start a blah grey afternoon.  While there wasn't any one thing that was particularly mind blowing, I did really enjoy being there.  It just felt homey and welcoming without a lot of douche bags, annoying screaming families or loud 20 something's that you generally find at brunch these days - I guess I should say that it just felt like nice adult place where you can get great drinks and food and be able to enjoy a 3+ hour conversation without feeling rushed.  Total bill:  $42/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: