Sunday, March 1, 2015

Taki Sushi Visited 2/27/2015 2 Forks

Taki Sushi 60 W 48th St., 2nd Fl., New YorkNY 10036



I found myself in the middle of Midtown during lunch on a cold Friday afternoon and figured it was easier to grab some food while I was in the area vs. waiting to eat when I got home.  I have always been a sucker for good cheap sushi lunch special so when I saw this place across the street, I figured it would be fine.  I was prepared for the worst because it was on the 2nd floor of a non-descript building, figuring there would no one there but I was pleasantly surprised to find it completely packed - usually a good sign. 

Their lunch menu is your typical mom and pop sushi lunch menu:  bento boxes, sushi rolls specials, sushi and/or sashimi specials, udon noodles, and teriyaki specials.  I opted for the 3 rolls special for $12.95 which comes with soup and salad.  I got the spicy salmon, spicy white tuna and yellowtail and scallion roll - all very basic rolls.  The soup and salad were your typical miso soup and green salad with ginger carrot dressing - totally acceptable and fine.  Sadly, I couldn't say the same for my rolls.  I wasn't expecting mind blowing Nobu quality sushi but I was expecting something that was good enough for lunch.  It was clear that they were slammed and rushed through making the rolls because most of them weren't even fully closed.  Half of the yellowtail scallion rolls had unraveled opened and were just a mess. The other rolls also fell apart as soon I picked them up.  If they had just managed to actually make them into actual rolls, the food would have been fine but it was just such careless sloppy work that I was really annoyed.  I get that they were extremely busy during lunch but it just isn't acceptable to pay this little attention to your food presentation. 

I would say this place is fine in a pinch if you are in the area but I wouldn't hold your breath and expect anything worth writing home about.  Total bill:  $16 with tax and tip. 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: