Sunday, April 26, 2015

Pho Vietnam 87 Visited 4/16/2015 4 Forks

Pho Vietnam 87  87 Chrystie St., New YorkNY 10002



As many of you know by now, I've had a life long obsession with pho and if I could, I would probably eat it every day of my life (if done right).  I have constantly been on the hunt for a good place in the city but have never really found my go to place.  While I still think the place at home is still the best, Pho Vietnam 87 is a pretty good substitute and definitely filled my craving for pho that day. 

Van and I went on a random Thursday night and it was fairly empty but we noticed that there were a few people speaking Vietnamese in the restaurant, which is always a good sign.  While I had been on a Americanize/fusion Vietnamese kick lately, there's no good substitute for a supremely authentic divey, mom and pop place that's located usually in Chinatown.  This place is the stuff of what I'm talking about - no fusion bs, it's straight up pure ethnic eats.  Van and I were totally overwhelmed with what to get but I had to get a pho (although the bahn mi looked good and it was only $4.25!!).  I opted for the #1 ($7.25) which was the large pho that had pretty much a little bit of everything, we split the banh cuon ($6.95) to start and Van got a pork rice plate ($6.50).  Another thing I love about eating at places like this is that the prices are crazy cheap.  It was music to my ears.   I also got a Vietnamese coffee and was so happy that it was served with the stainless steel single serving coffee maker and not pre-mixed.   We started off with the banh cuon which is a steamed rice rolls/crepe dish stuffed with ground pork and mushroom in it.  It's been a really long time since I've had this dish before but it was great. Our only complaint was that the rice crepe was a bit thick for both of us but it didn't stop us from eating the entire dish.  Next came my pho and it was a huge bowl of yumminess. It smelled great and was definitely very full of everything - broth, meat, and noodles.   The broth was tasty, flavorful and not too oily.  My only complaint would be that it might have had a bit too much star anise or clove for my liking but it wasn't so overwhelming that I didn't like the dish.  The meat was thinly sliced  and rate and like I said early, plentiful.  The noodles were the right consistency - soft and delicious.   Usually when I have pho, I clean house and can finish the whole thing but this one was just too much to handle and I had to call it quits about 3/4 of the way through.  I had a small bite of Van's dish and it was also quite well done and delicious. 

All in all, it was a great experience and it brought me back to my first love of eating which is cheap local ethnic eats.  While I still doesn't match the Pho 75 back home, it was a very filling and affordable addition and Van and I are already making plans to go back and try out the other half of the menu (although we really just barely scratched the surface!).  Total bill with tax and tip:  $16/pp 

Photo Credit:  Yelp  

No comments: