Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Meadowsweet Visited 6/15/2015 4.5 Forks

Meadowsweet  149 Broadway, BrooklynNY 11211



Although I live in Williamsburg, there are definitely certain parts of the neighborhood that I don't spend as much time in as I would like to.  One section is South Williamsburg which is kind of home to the original Williamsburg food scene, such as Peter Luger's, Diner and Dressler.  Sadly, Dressler closed a while ago when the owner killed himself and the space has been re-born as Meadowsweet. Luckily, Meadowsweet continues the tradition of really classic but solid food.

I was lucky enough to go for my birthday -  although the place was generally pretty quiet even for a Monday night.   I met up with Virginia and we were both starving and decided to split a bunch of dishes even though this place isn't really a tapas small plate kind of place but so many things sounded so good to both of us that we just wanted to try it all.  We split the burrata wrapped in prosciutto, crispy baby artichokes, squid ink pasta, and the st. louis ribs.  It's a pretty random diverse menu but I would say the style is modern American.  The burrata wrapped in prosciutto sounds as amazing and delicious as it sounds.   The burrata was super fresh and creamy and was perfectly combined with the thinly sliced prosciutto as it added the hint of saltiness that any fresh cheese really needs.  It was seriously one of the best burrata dishes I've had in a while.  Next I tried the crispy baby artichokes which was supposed to be our "healthy" vegetable of the night.  It was served with shaved parmesan, and a creamy garlic dressing, so I wouldn't say it was really healthy as itt was tasty.  Next I moved on to the small portion of squid ink pasta - you could tell that it was very heavy on the butter in the sauce but that's what made it fantastic.  It came with bit of fresh crab meat in it which made it even more wonderful.  Lastly, I had the ribs.  You would think that a nice classy place like this wouldn't have great fall off the bone ribs but it did.  They had bourbon BBQ sauce on them but it was just the right about to make it moist but not too messy.  The meat literally fell clean off the bone - amazing.  It really rivaled most ribs I've had in a lot of more traditional BBQ places.  After these 4 dishes, we were still a little bit hungry so we topped our meal off with the smoked trout crepe.  I know, it's not a desert but it sounded different and interesting that we wanted to try it.  It was essentially smoked trout with apple, beet, frisee and horseradish wrapped in a very thin soft crepe.  I actually really enjoyed this dish and it had kind of this French feel to it with the smoked fish and crepe aspect to it.  I can see how it's not a dish that everyone would love but I felt like it was very well executed. 

Overall, my meal at Meadowsweet didn't disappoint - in fact I have to say that it really surprised me in how much I really enjoyed all the food there.  It was understated but really solid food - well seasoned, balanced and executed beautifully.  This was the same thing for their cocktails too - I had a negroni that was incredibly tasty and well done.  While this place has gotten tons of accolades, I feel like it's still a little bit of a hidden gem given all the hot spots that Williamsburg produces.  I would definitely add it to the list of places to check out if you are looking for something that is delicious but not hipster.  Total bill:  it was a birthday gift to me, so I didn't get to see the total bill

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: