Sunday, July 12, 2015

Mezetto Visited 7/5/2015 2.5 Forks

Mezetto  161 E Houston St., New YorkNY 10002



This place used to be a cute tapas place called Olivia and I was bummed to see it go.  But this Mezetto got relatively decent reviews on Yelp and I've always been a bit fan of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food,  so Aarti and I figured it was worth a shot.  I will say though,  I'm generally weary of places that have bottomless/boozy brunches because usually the food in those type of restaurants aren't very good, so I did go in with a fair amount of skepticism. 

I got there early on a Sunday and they asked if we had a reservation, which we didn't.  The place was half empty but they told us that we could sit at a table but that they would need back by 1pm - which was 1 1/2 hours from now.  I guess I could see that if you were going to do a boozy brunch,  you'd stay longer than 1 1/2 hours, but Aarti and I were going to Core Fusion later, so there wasn't going to be any drinking going on. 

The menu had a nice line up for egg-y brunch type food and lunch/sandwich type dishes as well. Aarti and I started with the chopped Greek salad ($15) because we're both obsessed with Greek salad and I opted for the pork belly benedict ($15) and Aarti got the green benedict ($13).  Even though we ordered the salad, I had forgotten that it was chopped because it was super chopped and not the kind of Greek Salad I'm used to where it's got chunks of juicy tomatoes and large pieces of feta.  It was particularly heavy on the cucumber which is my 2nd least favorite (2nd to olives) part of a Greek Salad.  It was a nice refreshing salad for sure, but just not not as good as the one at Taverna Kyclades. My benedict was served with crispy pork belly and scallion yogurt sauce - which sounds delicious. But the whole dish was a bit underwhelming.  I will give them props that the egg was poached correctly but the pork was on the small side and a bit dry and the English muffin it was sitting on was way over toasted.  There wasn't really enough yogurt sauce on there to moisten up the whole dish. The side salad was way overdressed - it looked too shiny and over coated which is not how I like my salad and it makes me feel like it's a waste of a salad.  The potatoes were your standard roasted potatoes but they were pretty good compared to everything else. 

I'm wondering if I had ordered a more traditional dish like a lamb burger or trio spread if the food would have been better.  This kind of re-affirms my thinking that places with boozy brunches don't have great food as they are just trying to get your drunk off cheap mimosas and not really focusing on the food so much.  Total bill:  $28/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: