Thursday, August 13, 2015

DeStefano's Steakhouse Visited 8/9/2015 4 Forks

DeStefano's Steakhouse 89 Conselyea St., BrooklynNY 11211



DeStefano's is one of those places that's within spitting distance from my house yet somehow after living here for 5 years, I've still never been to.  I guess, how often am I really in the mood for steak when I'm at home by myself?  In any case, when Greg and Sarah mentioned that they were going there for dinner on Sunday because they had a Groupon and asked if I wanted to come along, I had to say yes!

Luckily in a time when the neighborhood is starting to get taken over by hipster tattoo shops and expensive new condos, there's still a comforting old school Italian element to where I live and DeStefano's kind of embodies that spirit.  It's a fairly small steakhouse but it's stayed pretty true to it's old roots.  The staff looks like local friends and family who've been here for years and the decor is covered with family photos.  It's got a similar vibe to Bamonte's but only slightly less mobster-y and less touristy too.   The menu is obviously very steak focused ranging from filets to rib eye to a 40 oz porter house steak for 2.  They told us that they were having a special that night of an 85 oz porterhouse steak for 3.  WTF?! 85 oz??  I almost wanted to order it just to see what it looked like. They also had a fairly decent line up for none-steak items like chicken, pasta and fish as well as very veggie friendly appetizer options and sides.   I was strangely not starving so I got the 8 oz petite filet mignon ($36) and we all split a side of garlic mashed potatoes for 2  ($12.89) and the sauteed spinach with garlic and oil for one ($7.89) for the table.

I haven't actually had a steak meal in a long time, but this made me totally wish I did this more often. The meat was perfectly medium rare - emphasis on the rare as it was quite pink and juicy (ok, that sounds super gross but you know what I mean).  I was totally in heaven with its soft buttery texture and flavors.  It came with a burgundy shallot sauce which I didn't use because the meat itself was so good on its own.  Paired with the creamy buttery garlic mashed potatoes and I was one happy camper.  Meanwhile, the sauteed spinach was a good palate cleanser from all the fat and meat.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much I really enjoyed the food here.  Not that I thought it would be bad but it was one seriously legit steak.

I know most people think of Peter Luger's when they think Williamsburg + steak, and it's still a wonderful place.  But I really love that places like DeStefano's have still stuck around despite all the gentrification and still are able to produce a very solid steak that wold make any meat lover happy.  I hope it sticks around some more and I'm more than happy to go here with or without a Groupon.   Total bill:  $51/pp with Groupon deal not including tip


No comments: