Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Kingsbury Street Cafe Visited 8/28/2015 4 Forks

Kingsburg Street Cafe  1523 N Kingsbury St., ChicagoIL 60642


When someone mentions the word "brunch", most people think of a lazy Saturday or Sunday.  I was in town for an extended period of time and met up with Nima on a lazy Friday and was craving brunch-y food.  I had read about this place in a Chicago Magazine and they had mentioned that their lemon pancake was one of the top 50 things to eat in Chicago and the pictures looked amazing.

This place is a true breakfast/lunch place as it's only open until 3pm, so definitely get there early. Luckily, it was pretty empty on a Friday afternoon.  The space itself is huge, airy with an artistic feel to it as it is apparently also a part-time gallery.  The menu is very brunch friendly with a full breakfast menu as well as a full lunch menu.  It was a true struggle to figure out what to eat because everything sounded great and when I looked around, everyone's dishes looked pretty good.  Ultimately, all 3 of us ended up getting the exact same dish, the Kingsbury Cafe Breakfast  - Deanna got it with vegan patties, Nima got it with bacon and I got it with turkey patties.  The dish itself was 2 eggs your choice, 2 roasted tomatoes, herb potatoes and a cheddar cheese scone - all for $11!  It was a ton of food and everything was fresh and very well made.  I got my eggs soft scrambled and they were delicious but you could tell that they were a lot of butter or cream in it which made it soft.  But regardless, I really enjoyed my eggs.  The roasted tomatoes were an interesting touch to the meal - you don't really see that a lot and to be honest, I prefer raw tomatoes because cooked tomatoes can be too soft and mushy - this one was close but they took it out of the oven right before it got to that point.  The potatoes were fine  - again, they were of the roasted variety.  I didn't really need them as part of the dish but it just seems wrong to not have potatoes with a breakfast dish.  The same can be said for the turkey patties - they were a little bit on the dry side and it could have used a bit more spice and flavor to it, but it would have been weird to not have a meat dish with the eggs.  But the real star of the show was the cheddar cheese scone.  Holy shit.  I actually had really low expectations for this as I'm not a huge scone fan and generally find them to be an uninteresting food item.  But this was less like a scone and more like a buttery, flakey delicious biscuit with cheddar cheese inside of it.  It was served with salty butter which just made the whole thing amazing.  I wasn't planning on eating the whole thing but I just couldn't stop myself and could have easily had another.

Overall, I was really pleased with my breakfast here.  It's a true breakfast joint but the lunch options also looked really good and I would definitely come back to try it out.  It's located in this weird street that has a strip club, a giant Whole Foods and the British School all on one block but if you get get over that, I would definitely recommend you check out their brunch and maybe even get their famous pancakes as I'm sure they would be fantastic.  Total bill:  $20/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: