Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Cafe Clover Visited 11/7/2015 2.5 Forks

Cafe Clover  10 Downing St., New YorkNY 10014


I'll try to keep this review brief because frankly there's not much to really say about this place.  The place is cute and it's in a prime but seemingly cursed location in the West Village near the W. 4th stop.  I feel like this place is constantly changing ownership every other month.   Not sure why since it's so centrally located and must get a lot of foot traffic...perhaps it's the food?  

The menu here is very veggie friendly - in fact, there's only 1 entree on the brunch menu that's meat related (the burger) but they do offer bacon and sausage as side orders.  Everything on the menu sounded healthy and organic:  chia granola, avocado toast, market vegetable scramble and lots of big salads.  I was torn between the poached eggs and the market vegetable scramble but I thought I'd be healthy so I got the scramble (which was really a $17 omelette not a scramble) with egg whites.  The veggies in it were broccoli, brussels sprouts and beet root - not really very inspiring or exciting but I went with it.  You get a choice of 1 side and obviously I got the applewood smoked bacon although for $17 I'd think you'd get the standard toast and potato side as well but not here.   Mabel also got the scramble and Aarti got a heirloom grain salad with an egg ($21 - $5 of which was extra for the egg.  WTF?!).  The scramble came out and it was so uninspiring.  It looked like a basic omelette that I make at home myself and it was on the small side.  It just looked sad without any of the other usual sides that go with a brunch dish.  I knew there wasn't cheese in it but it's just really disappointing and not tasty to have an omelette sans cheese.  It was a totally ok dish, just super boring and not filling. Even though the bacon was supposed to be smoked, it was a bit over smoked for my taste.  Mabel and Aarti both commented that their food was just ok - I do find it incredibly offensive that they would charge $5 extra for a fried egg on a salad - talk about an insane mark up!

With so many other adorable brunch options in the West Village that serve delicious food, it's hard to really give this place much props.  Although, I did like that they pretty much let us sit at the table for 2+ hours to talk without giving us crap but when we wanted to go pay our bill that ended up taking forever.  Oh well, I'm sure in a few months this place will be something else completely different anyways.  Total bill:  $23/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: