Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Little Beet Table Visited 1/9/2016 2.5 Forks

The Little Beet Table  333 Park Ave S.,  New YorkNY 10010



I wanted to start the New Year off to a healthy start, so thought it would be good to try out this "veggie friendly" place that I had heard about from a few friends.  Any sensible person who comes to a place that focuses on vegetables would probably stick to vegetables on the menu, but of course I have no will power and ended up ordering items that had both fish and bacon in it,  neither of which were really great dishes. 

The brunch menu itself sounds nice and healthy although it's really more lunch focused than brunch.  Lav and I split the basket of breads ($14) to start which came with banana bread, multigrain toast and corn bread.  Of the 3, the banana bread was my favorite - soft, moist and full of banana flavor. The corn bread was a bit too try and crumbly for me and the multigrain toast, while good, was just basic toast to me (but I did like that it was very heavy on the grains).  It came with this delicious set of butter and jam that really added some sweetness to the breads.  For my main, I ordered the smoked salmon scramble ($18) and a side of bacon ($6) while Lav got the grits ($16).   While I know my scramble had salmon in it, $18 for a fairly small size of egg with no sides seemed overpriced to me.  I generally don't think salmon has a fishy smell but when this scramble came out, the smell of fish immediately hit my face.  I felt so bad eating in front of someone else, it's the worst smell to subject someone to (especially if they don't eat it).  Taste-wise, it didn't really hit the spot either.  In fact, I only ate half of it and stopped because it just wasn't doing it for me.  Meanwhile, the bacon was super super salty.  So salty that I could only eat 1 slice out of 5.  What a sad showing!  Lav mentioned that she wasn't super jazzed about her grits because it came with a helping for exotic mushrooms, which she wasn't a big fan of. 

I guess when you come to a veggie place, it's probably best to stick with the veggie dishes and not the ones that have fish and meat in it.  If the best dish you had is the bread basket, then something is not quite right.  I appreciate what they are trying to do and a lot of the nicer vegetarian places are very expensive (a la Dirt Candy and Semilla), so I like the idea of a more casual veggie friend place but The Beet Table still is slightly overpriced for what it's offering.  Total bill:  $42/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: