Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Casa Restaurant Visited 2/20/2016 4 Forks

Casa Restaurant  72 Bedford St., New YorkNY 10014


I'm a big fan of South American food with all the ceviches, fish and great steaks.  But I will admit to never really craving Brazilian food very often.  Not necessarily because I don't like it but because there just aren't that many authentic Brazilian restaurants around that aren't BBQ places.  So I was pleasantly surprised when Aarti made a reservation at Casa which was literally right around the block from her.  I can't believe I had never heard or seen of it before!

It's on an adorable street in the West Village and it's quite cozy inside.  As I'm waiting, the waitstaff is having a heated debate in Portuguese - love the authenticity of this place already.  The menu is very traditional Brazilian food which is great - but a word to the wise, someone thought it was a smart idea to print the menu in all cursive so it's a bit hard to read...make sure you bring your reading glasses because it'll take some time reading it.  While I loved my time in Brazil last year,one big regret I had was never having their national dish, Feijoada while I was there.  Big miss.  So I figured this was as good of a place as any to finally try it.  We started with a nice assortment of fried snacks ($9.95), a basked of pao de queijo ($8.95) because how can you go to a Brazilian restaurant and NOT order that and the hearts of palm salad ($14.95).  As I mentioned, I got the feijoada ($26.95) and we also got a side of sautreed chayote ($6.95).  While I'm trying to be better about my carb intake, the fresh roll they serve you in the beginning is to die for.  Warm, soft and pillowy and it goes so well with the salted butter they serve.   The snack basket consisted of the coxinha - which is like their version of a croquette.  It's got shredded chicken packed in a fried dough ball.  Delicious - I remember loving these while in Rio too.  The basket also had risoles de camarao, which is another fried dough ball but stuffed with shrimp.  But both of these snacks are basically just vehicles for you to shove chimichurri-like sauce in your mouth.  It's spicy as hell but you keep going back for more. And of course there is the pao de queijo - simple, delicious puffy cheese bread but made with cassava root.  It's a staple snack in Brazil and I forgot how addictive it is to pop a few in your mouth without even thinking about it. 

Next came the star of the show - the feijoada.  Feijoada is a black bean stew with offal in it (leftover pork and beef bits) and served with white rice, collard greens, farofa, and a very addictive vinaigrette (in fact whenever Will and Aarti come here they get a whole helping of it).  I will say it was a bit intimidating to dive into a black bean stew with random meat parts in it since you can't really see/tell what kind of meat it is.  But when you mix it all together with the beans, rice, and vinaigrette, you could care less what part of the animal you're eating.  I can see why this is a lazy Sunday meal in Brazil because it's super hearty and I was definitely ready for a big nap when I was done with it.  It was very filling and satisfying.  It's definitely a bit of an adventurous eat, but just think in your mind that you're eating sausage or pork belly and you'll be fine. 

This restaurant review also wouldn't be complete without a mention of the caipirinhas ($12).  I have yet to find any bar in NYC that does a decent caipirinha - it always super icky sweet or not made with real cachaca. But this one is legit - it was tangy, sweet and strong as hell.  I had one of them plus a glass of wine and I woke up with a raging headache the next day (ok, fine, I also had a stein of beer too, but who's counting?).  I would come back here a million times just to have a caipirinha and some pao de queijo.   Overall - this was a lovely find and while I don't crave Brazilian food all that often, if I do, I know exactly where to go.  Total bill:  unknown as it was kindly paid for by my friends

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: