Saturday, February 13, 2016

Lobster Alive Visited 2/8/2016 4 Forks

Lobster Alive Wesley House, Bay StreetBridgetownBarbados



This was the first time in many many years that I hadn't gone on a beach vacation over MLK or President's Day weekend, so when a cheap vacation package to Barbados popped up on JetBlue during a random Feb weekend, my friend Janet and I jumped all over it.  I rarely visit the same vacation spot twice since there are so many places in the world to visit, but Ive made an exception for Barbados (and Hawaii).  Barbados is by far my favorite Caribbean island - it's close to NYC (less than 4 1/2 hours direct), has gorgeous beaches, and they really have quite a nice food scene outside of resort hotels.  I had been to Barbados back in 2011 and last year on my way to/from a cruise and I was more than happy to return.  This time around I wanted nothing more than to do nothing but lay in a hammock and read - which is exactly what I did. 

I had actually forgotten that it was going to be Chinese New Year while I was there, so I figured it was worth splurging and going for a nice dinner on the island.  There are actually tons of fine dining options on the island but what better way to celebrate the year of the monkey than with a big lobster dinner?  With that in mind, there was only one place to go:  Lobster Alive.  I tried to make a reservation online via their website but they never got it, so I had the hotel call to make a reservation. The place is pretty small, so I would recommend that you call ahead.  While this place will definitely cost you a pretty penny, it's not fancy at all.  It's on the beach and has a bit of a seafood shack vibe - there were people there in shorts and tank tops and some in nicer dresses, that's island life I guess.  

The menu actually has non-lobster items like steak, conch, and Greek salad but everything else has lobster in it.  And really, why bother coming here if you're not going to have lobster?  They have a large tank in the back filled with lobsters where you can watch them pull out your catch.  These are not your Maine lobster, obviously, but the spiny/rock lobster kind. These kinds also have large plumb tails but no large claws.    

For a starter, Janet got the lobster bisque ($17) and I got the lobster spring roll ($13) and for entrees we both went for the 680 g (1 1/2 lb) lobster ($67) which came with rice, salad.  I had a sip of the lobster bisque and it was very heavy on the rum and white wine flavor.   As for the spring roll, it was ok - a bit too greasy for me and there wasn't enough lobster (there never is).  But we were really there for the main show - not the appetizers.  There is a bit of a wait for the lobster as everyone there is ordering it and they are on island time here.  But when it finally arrived it's quite a vision.  

It's served on split in half with the shell still on and it's basically one big juicy tail.  They boil it in sea water and then finish on the grill.  They give you a sinful bowl of garlic butter to dip the meat in. Yum! The lobster is meaty and comes right out of the shell.  The meat isn't as sweet as a Maine lobster but it was still delicious none the less.  Being the seafood savage that I am, I also tore apart the body/head area and there is a little bit more meat in there but not a ton.  I would only recommend doing that if you're a skilled lobster eater/picker, otherwise it's too much work for not a lot of reward.  I did miss having nice big claws to crack through but after eating the rice and salad, I was pretty full by the end. 

While the prices of the place do shock you a bit, it is worth it if you are only going to have 1 or 2 big blow out meals on the island.  Janet and I stuck to more local places like Cuz's and the Fish Fry on the other days we were here, which cut down on costs, so spending $100+ a person didn't sting quite as much at the end but it is a pricey endeavor.  Total bill:  $196 for 2 people with tax, tip and 2 beers
  

No comments: