Monday, March 28, 2016

Rue 57 Visited 3/20/2016 3 Forks

Rue 57  60 W 57th St., New YorkNY 10019


In all my years of living in NYC, I have actually never been to Carnegie Hall.  So when my friend Amy invited me to a show (never mind what the actual show was - it wasn't that good but that's not the point) I thought it would be a fun thing to cross off my NYC bucket list.  Unfortunately, Carnegie Hall is located right smack in the middle of Midtown and tourist land.  I don't know of any good places to eat around there and luckily Amy had thought before hand and made a reservation at Rue 57 which was right around the corner. 

The place is hopping with tourists (it is near Central Park) and locals trying to get a meal in before a show.  The space is pretty large and it's got a very classic French bistro feel to it.  They do a really good job of creating a cozy feel in the middle of a bustling city.  Even though we had accidentally canceled our reservation (we thought we were going to eat elsewhere), they were kind enough to still squeeze us in when we came crawling back.  The menu here is what you would expect of a French Bistro at brunch - lots of brunchy options as well as sandwiches, salads and steak frites.  They also strangely had a full sushi menu too - not sure why.  I decided to stick to egg options and got the Country Omelette ($16.25).  I wasn't sure if the dish came with anything on the side but when I read that it came with roasted fingerling potatoes, bacon and gruyere, I figured it would be a lot of food. So I guess I just read the menu wrong because instead of the potatoes and bacon coming on the side, the actual omelette was stuffed with these ingredients which was totally unexpected (even though as I re-read the menu now, that's clearly what it meant).  The portion size was HUGE - enough for 2 people and to be honest, stuffing an omelette with potatoes isn't really all that great.  Plus there was waaay to much bacon (gasp, I can't believe I'm saying that) and it tasted more like bacon bits rather than fresh cut bacon.  While I was very full at the end, I definitely felt like I forced myself to eat more than I should of a mediocre dish.  

The location and speed of service makes this place a logical choice if you are going to catch a show at Carnegie Hall or anything in the area.  It's definitely not a place I would voluntarily go to on my own but it did get the job done.  Just expect tons of tourists and basic brunch food.  Total bill:  $25/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp   

No comments: