Saturday, March 19, 2016

Yuba Visited 3/11/2016 4.5 Forks

Yuba 105 E 9th St., New YorkNY 10003


This is a Fun with Eating blog first.  I have always said that I don't re-review places unless the place is drastically different - and for the most part, many places that I eat at multiple times are generally the same each time.  But this time when I went back to Yuba, I was so much more impressed than when I went 4 years ago and gave it 3 stars, that I had to give it justice and bump it up several notches.   I'll keep this short and sweet but I'll just say that if you read my first review of this place, it's definitely worth another visit - especially if you sit at the sushi bar. 

I met up with my friend Nicole and it turns out she's kind of a regular here (or at least several of the waitstaff recognized her), so we got some pretty loving treatment.  We sat at the bar which was great because we got to talk to the sushi chef, Jack (he used to work at Masa), and he took care of us.  We got a fabulous yellowtail carpaccio dish and then split a sashimi plate where he gave us several extra cuts of fish and a few rolls.  The quality of the fish was excellent and impressive.  It was much more high quality than I remember and much more traditional in presentation.  But what was really fantastic was the uni sushi we both got.  Amazing - so much so that we got another order of it before we finished up our meal.  It was creamy and delicious.  The place is famous for their uni risotto and we did see someone get it but we opted to stick with it in its purest form.  We did see a group next to us get the omakase (there is a $65, $85 and $105 option - all not bad considering the quality of the fish) which looked great and I would definitely try that next time I'm here. 

The only downside is that decor-wise, this place is kind of eh and the sushi bar only seats 7 people but none of that are deal breakers when getting good uni! I'm glad Nicole re-introduced me to this place because it's still kind of a hidden gem since it's not one of the super famous places and it's located on a random side street.  Total bill:  $74/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: