Sunday, April 3, 2016

Beaubourg Visited 3/29/2016 2.5 Forks

Beaubourg  225 Liberty St., New YorkNY 10281


There was a time when my building literally had no food options except for our sad but useful cafeteria.  Then one day, they opened up Hudson Eats and then the Le District - an unofficial French version of Eataly.  Along with Le District, there were a few restaurants that opened up inside, which was nice given all the food limitations we've had but unfortunately, except for the view there isn't too much to celebrate here. 

I'll give them credit and say that the space is very nice and it's great that it's got such a nice view of the water.  I was there for a year end celebration lunch with my co-workers.  With any lunch time offering at a restaurant, it's always super stressful because undoubtedly everyone has to rush to a meeting right afterwards.  Knowing how 90% of their lunch time customers are business people, you'd think they would have a system down where the food would come out quickly - but we waited over 45 mins for our food which in any situation is ridiculous.

The menu tries to be French by having dishes like pate, escargots, and mussels on the menu.  I'll be honest and say that while I don't think French food is terrible, it's not one of my favorites (although I know almost every well known chef has done time cooking in France).   I was starving, so I opted for the cheeseburger ($18) which is undecidedly very Un-French but nothing else really spoke to me. The burger was served with Tomme de Savoie cheese (mild French cow's milk cheese), tomato, red onion, and a mustard/mayonnaise spread.  While the meat was fine and cooked medium rare, the cheese was way too mild for a burger.  It barely tasted like anything - to me, if you're going to get a cheeseburger, the cheese has got to be the star of the show.  There was also way too much bread - I had to pull a lot of it off because it made the burger too heavy.  The fries that came with it were salty, crispy and skinny.  People around the table got the heirloom tomato salad (I will say this dish looked beautiful) and the fish.

While my food wasn't terrible, the wait was just painful.  There are much better places to eat in the area - my vote is for Parm - which is why I gave it a low rating.  It's a nice place to sit outside and get some rose on a sunny afternoon, but I'd skip the full blown meal there.

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: