Friday, April 1, 2016

Egg Shop Visited 3/26/2016 3.5 Forks

Egg Shop  151 Elizabeth St., New YorkNY 10012


The Egg Shop is the epitome of hipster cuteness.  It's located at the cross section of Soho/Nolita/Chinatown so it brings in the artists, models and for some reason a lot of Asians.  The wait at on Saturday morning was 45 mins so be prepared to wait.  The place is pretty small with tight counter space and a handful of small tables.  As you can imagine, the menu is egg focused - so if you are a vegan, you're shit out of luck. The concept is pure marketing genius - who doesn't love an egg on everything or want an egg sandwich for breakfast (if you're more health conscious they have egg bowls).  They are super creative with their egg creations and everything sounded amazing.  You can also make your own sandwich as well as order fried chicken as a side dish - amazing!! I was trying to be healthy, so I went for a bowl instead but of course I picked the one that had pulled pork in it, so there goes that.  If I were to go full hog, I probably would have made my own sandwich with soft scramble eggs, cheddar cheese on a buttermilk biscuit with maple sausage and an avocado and maybe even throw in some heirloom tomatoes in there.  Ugh - I'm drooling just thinking about this.  Instead I got the El Camino ($13) which was a bowl with 1 poached egg, avocado, pulled pork, tomato, and cilantro topped with tortilla strips.  The food came out super fast but I guess the cooks literally do nothing all morning but have poached eggs ready and throwing the other ingredients in a bowl doesn't take much time.  I was a bit bummed that it was only 1 egg but they did compensate by putting a lot of pork in there but when you're called the Egg Shop, I would assume that the focus would be on the egg instead.  The egg was poached well enough although it could have been a bit runnier for me.  It was totally a fine dish but it didn't really scream breakfast to me with such little egg.  

In retrospect, I should have stuck with going balls the the wall and gotten a yummy sandwich on buttermilk biscuits as well as gotten a side of fried chicken - everyone who got it, looked very happy. While I was full, I left feeling like I waited way too long for a meal that lasted less than 35 mins that I ultimately could have made at home that cost less than <$10 to make.  Total bill:  $23/pp with tax, tip and juice

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: