Sunday, May 29, 2016

Milan Day 8 Visited 5/5/2016 4.5 Forks

Pave  Via Felice Casati 2720124 MilanItaly



Normally, I wouldn't review a cafe or bakery but I had do review Pave but I am OBSESSED with this place.  I didn't really have time for a full sit down lunch before I left for the airport, so instead I quickly googled nearby bakeries in Milan where I could have a quick bite to eat - this was listed in the most recent 36 hours Milan in the NY Times and some Cool Hunting Guide and luckily it was only a 10 min walk from my hotel, so off I went. 

It's on a very unassuming random street in Milan not too far from the train station.  But when you walk in, it's like hipster heaven.  I felt like I was back home in Williamsburg.  The design aesthetic is minimal but it's got this artisanal hip feel.  Everyone who worked there and ate there looked like they could have lived in my neighborhood.  I know hipsters have a terrible rap and yes, they are super annoying but somehow by living in the hipster capital of the world for the past 6 years, I've come to have a soft spot for them.  

But the good news is that not only is this place beautiful to hang out in, the pastries there are fantastic as well.  We got a hibiscus panna cotta type dessert, Saint Honorè pastry and a classic ham and cheese croissant along with 2 cappuccinos.  Everything was spot on and not too sugary but still had a sweetness to them .  You could tell they were all freshly made in their kitchen.  The ham and cheese croissant was my favorite - a great pairing of saltiness from the ham with the buttery sweetness of the croissant.  It was perfectly moist and flakey - it was so good that I wanted to get another one for the road but they had run out, so instead I got a plain and almond croissant to go for the train ride to the airport.  Unfortunately I didn't get to eat them in the airport and ended up bringing it all the way back to Brooklyn but they were still as delicious (albeit a bit squished) as when I first took a bite out of my original meal over 10 hours ago. 

While I didn't spend enough time in Milan to really get a good feel about the city, I would totally come back to this place anytime I'm even remotely spending time in Milan.  By the way, if any of the owners are reading this:  this place would totally kill it in a place like Brooklyn or other parts of the US.  If you ever open up shop States side, I will be the first one in line to check it out.  Total bill:  $21 euros

No comments: