Saturday, June 11, 2016

Sadelle's Visited 5/25/2016 3.5 Forks

Sadelle's  463 W BroadwayNew YorkNY 10012



The Major Food Group team has really become an incredible power house in NYC.  I was devastated when they closed Torrisi Italian Specialities but they have since opened up a slew of other really amazing restaurants such as Carbone, Parm, Santina, and Dirty French.  So when they opened up Sadelle's I had to check it out.  I had heard that in true Major Food Group style that the food was good but overpriced.  What else is new in New York City? 

Knowing that they were famous for their lox, I should have really gone for brunch instead of dinner but you live and learn.  I was there with Virginia and Julie on a hot sweltering day and it was relatively empty on a Wednesday night.  I'll give them props and say that the space is very beautiful with the candles and kind of old antique feel to it.  The dinner menu is a bit sparse - it's got a list of caviar, a handful of starters and 7 main dishes.  We started with the lox (because you would be an idiot to if you didn't) and the tuna tartare.  For entrees, Julie and I got the mustard salmon and Virginia got the cheeseburger.

Yes, the lox is fucking amazing here. Sliced super super thin - it's incredibly moist and almost tasted like sashimi to me.  We asked for gluten free bread for Virginia and it actually turned out to be amazing (maybe because of all the butter on it?!).  If all gluten free bread tasted like this, I would devour it in a heart beat.  This really made me wish I came here for brunch to get the lox tower with bagels and capers and tomatoes.  This was the absolute star of the night.  The tuna tartare is good but not as outstanding as the lox.  I realized later that I was eating a whole meal of salmon that night but I guess there's worse things in life.  The mustard salmon was served as 3 very thin filets lightly covered with a mustard/horseradish sauce with a large pile of frisee and confit potatoes.  Similar to the lox, the salmon was delicious - although the portions were on the small side.  The mustard and horseradish paired nicely with the fish and combined with the potatoes, it made for a lovely combination.  What I didn't love about the dish was the overabundance of frisee.  Frisee is actually my least favorite green - it feels like I'm eating nothing of substance and the texture just weirds me out.  While the dish was nice, for $26 I would have liked much more of it - I left still feeling hungry and like I could have made a similar salmon dish at home - two feelings that I hate after leaving a restaurant.   Julie and I did leave room for dessert and got the chocolate babka because how can you come to a fancy Jewish deli place and not get the chocolate babka?  As expected, it was rich, buttery with a hint of sugary crunch to it.   It made me want to go out and buy a loaf for home.

I would say that you should skip dinner and just come here for brunch instead.  Yes, it'll still be overpriced but at least you'll feel more like you're getting your money's worth with the lox than with dinner.  Total bill:  $65/pp (which ordinarily would be fine but there was no alcohol consumed so that seems a bit ridiculous)

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: