Sunday, July 24, 2016

Anejo Tribeca Visited 7/12/2016 3.5 Forks

Anejo Tribeca  301 Church St., New YorkNY 10013



After spending a week in Scandinavia, it was a nice treat to come back to the US and eat other kinds of ethnic food to really bring some flavor back to my palate.  April was in-town for work, so the B-school gals and I decided to go for a Taco Tuesday run at Anejo.  Despite it being not that far from work, I've actually never been there before.  It's a nice space with a pretty decent sized bar and seating outside.  My one complaint about the lay-out is that it's not great for acoustics - the table behind us was super loud and raucous (yes, I'm an old lady) and it was really hard to hear everyone at our table without screaming at each other. 

As you can imagine, the menu here is Mexican but of the slightly more upscale variety.  We started with the trio of guacamole ($20) - traditional, verde and pineapple.  I'm honestly not sure when the hell guacamole started to cost an arm and a leg but it seems to be the norm these days.  To make it even worse, the serving size of each of these kinds were tiny.  They were in a small plate that was divided up into 3 section and it couldn't have been more than 2 1/2 medium sized avocados total across the 3 plates.  I also learned that I am not a fan of pineapple guacamole - in fact, this made me realize that I am much more of a guacamole purist and don't want any fruit or other ingredients in it that would take away from the actual avocado taste.  

We then split every taco they had on their menu (I mean it is Taco Tuesday right?):  short rib, chicken, pork, fish, shrimp and mushroom (tacos ranged from $15 for 2 to $21 for 3) plus a side of yuca fries ($8) and Brussels Sprouts ($8).   Given the ratio of tacos to people, I didn't get to try every kind but I did have the pork and fish tacos.  The fish was a beer battered white fish with poblano mint and jalapeño slaw - good balance of heat and herbs to the taco.  The pork one had shredded cabbage, chipotle crema, pico de gallo and cotija (we got that on the side since Richelle didn't want cheese on anything).  The taco was piled high with ingredients and super filling although the pork could have been a bit more moist. Everyone had raved about the short rib one but I didn't get a chance to try that one.  The yuca fries were ok - they were also a bit on the dry side and didn't have the crunch that I normally like with it and it didn't come with the cilantro or garlic mayo that I usually love with it. The brussels sprouts were what you would expect - roasted and these were mixed in with chorizo for a tasty but salty combination.  

It was a fun dinner and I would go back there - especially to try out some of the other tacos that I didn't get to partake in but I would probably skip the sides next time.  They have a great line-up of margaritas and other drinks to indulge in your Taco Tuesday outing.  I would also advise that if you want to actually to be able to hear your table mates, ask for the corner table in the front or sit outside as the main dining area will make it hard to hear anyone, even if they're sitting next to you.   Total bill:  $84/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: