Thursday, September 22, 2016

East Coast Poke Visited 9/13/2016 2.5 Forks

East Coast Poke 238 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11249


Yes, the poke craze has reached insane levels.  There are new poke joints popping up everywhere in the city and as a big lover of poke, I certainly don't mind all the options.  I was doubly excited when I read that the new Whole Foods in my 'hood was going to have a poke stall in it.  It's an offshoot of East Coast Poke and it's right in the 1st level of the grocery store along with a few other food stalls. 

I popped by the Whole Foods (yes, I'll admit that I love it) during lunch on a weekday so there wasn't much of a line at all.  It's right next to the pre-made sushi counter so it's a bit confusing because you aren't sure if they are there to make sushi or poke.  I ordered the Honolulu - which was a classic version ($11.95).  I was tempted to spend the extra $4 to get more poke but I figured I'd save my money and see what the standard serving looks like.  Turns out the standard serving is not very big. In fact, it's the same small size of what Whole Foods uses for those ridiculously overpriced cut up fruit cups I secretly buy sometimes.   This bowl was filled with lots of rice and very minimal scoping of fish in it.  The fish itself was fine but didn't stand out to me.  There weren't a ton of toppings on it either to make up for the lack of fish - there were some onion and seaweed (which I should note, real traditional poke doesn't have). While I was initially pleased by the fact that it was cheaper than some of the other poke I had in the city, I now know why and would definitely pay more for a hearty portion and just more of everything.

Overall, it was a pretty disappointing experience especially since I was so excited to have a place nearby that I could pop over whenever I was having a craving.  There are plenty of other solid poke options in the city that I wouldn't really waste too much of our time here unless you were really in a bind.  Total bill:  $13 with tax

Photo Credit:  Eater

No comments: