Sunday, October 9, 2016

Miso Visited 10/1/2016 3 Forks

Miso  40 Main St., BrooklynNY 11201



Allison and I were in DUMBO to catch the Taylor Mac show at St. Ann's Warehouse and wanted to grab a bite to eat before the 3+ hour show.  In the past we've gone to Atrium but this time they had a private party and could only seat us at 6:30 which was too late for the 7pm show.  Normally I rave and gush about DUMBO because it is my favorite neighborhood in Brooklyn from an aesthetic perspective however, from a culinary perspective it is lacking a bit.  Luckily, Allison recommended Miso which was less than a 5 min walk from the theater and sushi always works for me, so I was in. 

The place is your standard mom and pop neighborhood sushi joint - nothing more nothing less.  It's one of those places that just gets the job done and isn't looking to do anything that is too fancy.  I got a sashimi salad and Allison and I split a bunch of rolls which right now I honestly can't remember but it was a combination of regular rolls (think spicy scallop) and fancy rolls (Tribeca roll that had a mix of fish on top).  The sashimi salad was definitely more salad than sashimi which was a bit disappointing but not entirely unexpected.  The fish, while fresh, wasn't some melt in your mouth, mind blowing experience but it wasn't bodga level sushi either.  The rolls were surprisingly large and filling and the rice was much better quality than the crap I had a Nantori. 

While this place isn't a destination restaurant by any stretch, if you're trying to see a show and Atrium is full or you just want something that isn't quite as fancy, Miso is more than an acceptable enough substitute.  I would also say that if I lived around here (I wish!!), I could see this place being high on a take out list on a cold rainy night.  Total bill:  $30/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: