Thursday, November 3, 2016

City Kitchen Visited 11/2/2016 4 Forks

City Kitchen  700 8th Ave., New York, NY 10036


I am a total sucker for food courts - I know they are kind of touristy and cheesy but I just love them. So I was pleasantly surprised when my friend Amy suggested that we meet up at City Kitchen before seeing our Broadway show and I discovered that it wasn't some terrible Times Square deli but an adorable food court with really solid food stalls.  Of course since it's in Times Square it's on the smaller side - there are about 7 food stalls:  Dough, a Mexican place, a Mediterranean place, a burger place, Luke's Lobster, a ramen place and a sushi joint.  All foods that I love so I was so confused as to what to get.  I really had a hard time deciding but this girl was eating this really good looking chicken and rice bowl, so it swayed me to try Ilili Box.

The menu consists of shawarma and falafel in either wrap or rice form.  They have a really great combo deal of a wrap or rice box, brussels sprout or fries and a lemonade for $18.  When you see how much food you get, you'll realize what a great deal it is.   I got the lamb rice with brussels sprouts.  The dishes were huge - like Chipotle size.  It was so much food that I had to take it with me to the theater and let's just say that I was horribly paranoid that my brussels sprouts stunk up the joint. The lamb and rice was great - it came with a ton of shredded spiced lamb and tahini sauce.  It was very filling and I kind of wish it had some more veggie in it like cucumbers or tomatoes just to cut some of the heaviness of the dish.  I was so full that I didn't even get to the brussels sprouts until the next day at home.  I'm sure they were probably better when they were warm but brussels sprouts probably aren't the best veggies to save as left overs.  They were slightly overcooked and sauced and mixed with grapes and walnuts.  I took a couple of bites and they were ok but again, not the best left overs.  

Amy went with the Mexican place and got the shrimp tacos which looked pretty good too.   I could have spent so much more time eating my face off  (I was this close to getting a donut and Amy was eyeing the shaved ice/ice cream stall) but we had a show to get to.  The one big downside is that the place is tiny and we couldn't find a place to sit down, so we had to eat standing up, which was kind of annoying.  It's tough finding a good place to eat in the area, especially one that isn't a sit down place or one that offers expensive mediocre food.  City Kitchen is a great option since it gives you lots of variety and it's cheap and fast - we met at 7pm, ordered and ate our food and were in our seats by 7:40pm.  Total bill:  $18

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: