Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Hugo and Sons Visited 1/21/2017 3.5 Forks

Hugo and Sons 367 7th Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11215


It's been a long time since I've lived in Park Slope but it still has a soft spot in my heart as the first place I lived in NYC.  It was always a cute yuppie place to live but it's definitely gotten more and more yuppified since I left.  There are still some restaurants that I recognize but in general the neighborhood is definitely different than when I lived there. 

I met up with Virgina, her mom and Joanna for a nice low key brunch on Saturday.  This place was fairly quiet and empty, which was nice and easy for us to catch up.  The decor was family friendly and full of sun light which was great.  The brunch menu has your usual brunch suspects:  eggs benedict, omelettes, french toast, and the ever so popular avocado toast as well as a nice line up of thin crust pizzas (apparently the menu for dinner is more focused on Italian food).  I got the eggs benedict ($15), VA and Joanna kind of made their own breakfast by piecing together eggs, avocado and bacon side dishes and her mom got the Mina pizza ($18).  The eggs benedict was described as being on foccacia bread so I shouldn't have been all that surprised when I saw the dish but in my mind it's really hard to call yourself an eggs benedict dish if you're not on an English muffin.  The foccacia was soft and tasted fine but it just wasn't the same.  The eggs were poached nicely which is the most important part of the dish.  The bacon was a bit overdone and dare I say too crispy and dry? Usually an eggs benedict dish is super filling and hearty but this was on the small side and left me still hungry.  The homefries that came with it did help and they were mixed well with peppers and onions.  The dish was a perfectly fine brunch dish, I wish there was more of it.  The pizza that VA's mom got looked really good and it kind of made me wish that I got that instead.  Everyone else also got the green juice, which was pre-made already but apparently it was really tasty and refreshing - I got a grapefruit juice instead since the green juice had celery in it - gross. 

Overall, it was a totally lovely, casual brunch in what's clearly a neighborhood joint.  I definitely wouldn't say it's a destination brunch place at all but if I still lived in the neighborhood, I could see myself coming here more often.  I want to give a shout out to the waiter who was super nice and didn't say anything to us as we lingered around a bit after we paid the check.  Total bill:  $30/pp with tax, tip and juices

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: