Sunday, January 8, 2017

Superiority Burger Visited 1/7/2017 3.5 Forks

Superiority Burger  430 E 9th St., New York, NY 10009



One of the big trends of 2016 was the emergence of veggie forward/vegan food.  Vegetarianism and veganism is obviously not new but there was an emergence of restaurants in NYC that focused just on vegetables - By Chloe, Nix, Avant Garden and Ladybird just to name a few.  So it makes sense that those on the veggie train would try to create the ultimate veggie burger.  Momofuku Nishi tried to do it in the most innovative way by actually making it bleed, but I don't think that's necessary to make a really good veggie burger. 

Superiority Burger has gotten a ton of buzz as being one the best veggie burgers around, so I checked it out during my monthly Rabbit Habit date with Anuja and Amy.  First, this place is not a restaurant, it's really more of a take-out joint with 4 tiny seats.  Be prepared to wait or just grab it to go and sit in the park if it's nice outside.  The menu is really limited:  veggie burger, large veggie burger, sloppy joe type sandwich, broccoli salad, and romaine salad.  I was really bummed that they didn't have fries on the menu (they're vegetarian right?!?!) but I guess it's healthier that way.  In any case, I got the regular veggie burger ($6) and the tahini romaine salad ($6).  If you are hungry I would strongly recommend you get the large burger, it's only $3 more and you'll be a lot more satisfied in the end, trust me. 

The burger is topped with toasted munster cheese, lettuce, tomato, and pickle all on a soft potato bun. If it sounds like the making of a great burger, it was.  It reminded more of a falafel burger in terms of consistency and texture.  It definitely wasn't trying to be a meat substitute but I liked that it also wasn't some kind of nasty bean burger that many veggie restaurants try to do.  It was a solid burger that I would most definitely have again but it was just really too small if you're hungry.  This is where I really missed having fries as that would have definitely filled me up.  The salad was tasty with the tahini ranch dressing but I'm generally not a huge fan of romaine.  The salad was described as having cauliflower and sneaky avocado - the avocado was very sneaky as you could barely see or taste any of it in the salad which was a bummer.  I had a bite of the broccoli salad and that was much better in my opinion.  It had a slight charred taste and it was topped with red chili, cilantro and cashew. 

The menu here apparently changes (not the burger but the salads and sides) and a couple came in after us who were clearly friends with the owner and they got to order an off menu pastrami sandwich which looked great, so either be friends with the owners or wait a few months for new items to appear. 

Overall, it was definitely one of the better veggie burgers I've had in a while.  But the lack of fries made me feel like my meal wasn't really complete.  If I lived in the East Village or found myself walking around the hood, I would definitely stop by but I'm not sure if I would necessarily go out of my way from BK to have it again.  Anuja and I had debated if we wanted to split yet another burger because that's how hungry we still were but instead he opted to have a 2nd brunch at next door.  More to come on that meal....Total bill:  $13/pp

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: