Friday, February 10, 2017

Rolf's Bar and Restaurant Visited 2/2/2017 2.5 Forks

Rolf's Bar and Restaurant  281 3rd Ave., New York, NY 10010


Ahh Rolf's.  It's a New York institution that I've somehow avoided for 15 years but it felt like something I should cross off my list.  They're famous for their elaborate holiday decorations and if you try to go during the holiday it is an absolute madhouse.  Seriously, Holly and I tried to go at 6pm on a random December night and the line was wrapped around the corner.  But the secret is that they keep up these decorations until May, so unless you are die hard about needing to be there in December, you're much better off going after the holidays are over. 

This time around Holly and I went in early February and just like that, there was zero line to get it. When you walk in, you're "greeted" by a very gruff German dude who asked us if we had a reservation.  We said no and he said "you must have a reservation" - mind you the place was practically half empty so we were so confused.  We asked if we could make a reservation for right now (how does that even make any sense?!) and he then walked us to a booth.  So weird. The decorations are definitely very impressive.  It's super festive and you feel like you're trapped in some holiday wonderland (or horror house - depends on how you feel about dolls being strapped to walls). Not surprising, the menu is typical German food: schnitzel, pork chops, and lots of sausage dishes.  I opted for the bratwurst platter ($25) and Holly got the wiener schnitzel ($30).  It's definitely way overpriced for what is was but I guess you're paying for the holiday spirit. 

I was expecting the bratwurst to be grilled but instead it was boiled which is definitely not ideal since the best part of the sausage is the grill marks and smokiness of it.  Boiling sausage is reminds me of a wet sock - although it obviously tasted better than a wet sock.  If you mixed it all together with the mashed potato and sauerkraut, it was an edible bite.  The mashed potato was a bit watery and thin for my liking but again, if you mix everything together it's fine.  

As expected you don't come here for the food - you come here to take an Instagram worthy picture of the lights and decorations and for a few beers or glasses of mulled wine.  There are much much better places in the city if you want real German food but I'm still glad I went and got my holiday cheer on. Total bill:  $54/pp with tax and tip

No comments: