Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Daily Provisions Visited 3/12/2017 5 Forks

Daily Provisions  103 E 19th St., New York, NY 10003



I normally wouldn't review a cafe/take out place but this isn't just any take out joint.  It's a Danny Meyer take out joint and like everything he touches, it's god damn amazing.  I seriously don't know how he does it.  I want to write him off as just another celebrity chef/owner but I really can't say that at all. I've given 4+ forks to almost every single place he opens and it's with complete cause - his food is amazing and even better is the hospitality of the places he owns.  You can't have anything but mad respect for this man.

I was taking a walk back from Core Fusion when I remember reading that this place had just opened not too far from class.  I was staving and decided to check it out on the way home and it was the best thing I did all week.  It's right next door to the new Union Square Cafe and seemed to be equally as crowded.  It's not a restaurant at all and while there are tables, most of the time you will have to stand and eat - which is totally worth it for this food.  The menu consists of pastries, breads and sandwiches - they also have morning menu and lunch/day menu, so be sure to check out the website for when the menu switches over if you have your heart set on a specific thing. I was struggling to choose between all of their sandwiches - seriously they all sounded delicious and if I had someone else with me, I would have loved to split 2 different kinds.  Ultimately, I ended up with my all time favorite - roast beef ($12) and a side of their homemade truffle chips ($2).  Luckily, I was able to snag a seat at the coffee bar which was great.

Upon first bite of this sandwich, I knew I was in love.  It was mouth watering rare roast beef piled high on a delicious soft kaiser roll with horseradish mayo, fried onions, muenster cheese and beets. Who knew beets would taste so good with mayo and roast beef?  The fried onions gave it a nice crunch as did the beets.  I honestly had to slow myself down otherwise I would have inhaled this thing in under 5 minutes.  You know it's a memorable sandwich when you can't stop thinking about it when you get home and are already planning for it after your next work out.  The rest of their sandwiches also sound amazing and apparently their pastries are to die for.

While it's kind of annoying that there isn't more room to sit and hang out, when the weather gets nice, it'll be so easy to take it to go and sit in Union Square.  I can't recommend this place enough and am already looking forward to trying out the rotisserie chicken sandwich next week and the broccoli melt the following week and the chicken milanese the week after that.  Total bill:  $16 with tax

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: