Sunday, June 11, 2017

Miss Paradis Visited 5/30/2017 3.5 Forks

Miss Paradis  47 Prince St., New York, NY 10012


The first thing you notice about Miss Paradis is the beautiful decor - it's got floor to ceiling windows which is lovely during the spring/summer time.  Unfortunately, we were there on a chilly night, so the windows were closed but they had mentioned that when it's nice outside, they open up the windows. I can see it being a great summer time brunch spot. 

The menu here is described as healthy French Mediterranean.  It's mostly tapas style and the majority of the dishes are veggie friendly which was perfect for celebrating Amy's birthday.  They also have a great line-up for yummy sounding cocktails - especially the ones that had infused rose in it!  We ordered a bunch of items to share: beets ($10), brussels sprouts ($10), eggplant ($10), black pizza ($19), spicy shrimp ($15), and Chilean sea bass miso ($34).  With the exception of the sea bass, everything else was tapas/small plates.  I found these prices to be a bit high for what we were getting but I guess that's what you get for dining in prime Soho.  In short, everything was good but not great. So while I enjoyed most of the dishes and found no real fault, nothing wow'd me or felt like a must have.  I will say that the black pizza was very unique though - it was made with activated charcoal, which I guess it is all the rage these days because it supposedly helps your body get rid of unwanted toxins (although to me, it kind of seems like a marketing gimmick).  It makes for a very interesting dish visually but it doesn't actually taste any different than regular pizza dough. Given the small sizes of the dishes, we (or mostly me) were still hungry and ordered the local burrata ($18) which came with cherry tomatoes, pea tendrils and covered in a tomatillo dressing.  This was the highlight dish to me and again, while it wasn't anything new, there's nothing more delicious and screams summer time than fresh burrta and tomatoes.

In the end, I left satisfied with my meal and it was a lovely place to have a veggie friendly birthday, complete with great drinks.  The staff was great and entertaining as well.  But despite all of that, it wasn't a super memorable place food wise and the prices were too high for what they were serving. One of the pluses to this place though is that it's a good option for vegetarians and pescatarians alike as there isn't anything with meat on the menu.  I'd definitely say if you're in the neighborhood, it's a nice place to sit, have a cocktail and a few bites with the windows open but I wouldn't necessarily call it destination dining.   Total bill $121 with tax and tip split between 2 people for 3

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: