Friday, July 7, 2017

Freemans Visited 7/1/2017 3.5 Forks

Freemans  Freeman Alley, New York, NY 10002


Back in the day, Freemans was THE cool place to eat in the city.  It's tucked away in this random alley way in the LES and it just oozed funky, cool, hipness to it.  Fast forward, 13 years later (yes, it's been that long) and it's still adorable but now there are so many places like it in the city but with much better food.  Don't get me wrong, my food was fine but that was just it - it was fine. 

Despite Resy telling me they only had an 11:30am opening, when Dan and I got there, there were still lots of tables available throughout our meal and they say that they happily accept walk-ins, so I would roll the dice and try to walk-in instead.  Like I said, the decor is still rustic chic with a hipster taxidermy vibe.  The menu also remains cozy, hearty comfort food - with a bunch of egg dishes, including a full English breakfast option.  I was trying to be healthy and opted for the egg white omelet ($14) but then threw it all away by also getting a side of sausage ($8). Dan got the baked eggs skillet shakshuka ($14).  The food came out relatively quickly which was kind of surprising.  My omelet came with roasted broccoli, cheddar cheese and a side salad.  Everything about it was totally fine - it tasted exactly like an egg white omelet that I can make at home myself. One of my biggest pet peeves is eating or paying for food in a restaurant that I could easily prepare at home.  The sausage links were also fine - honestly it didn't taste homemade and again I could have just gotten some links at a high end grocery store and had just as good of an experience.  I had a bite of the shakshuka and it was good but unlike an omelet it's a bit harder to make baked eggs at home, so I'll give this dish a bit more props.

We were literally done with our entire meal in less than 40 mins from sit down to getting the check.  I know that shouldn't be a deal breaker but when I'm eating at a place like this, I would prefer it to be a more drawn out enjoyable experience.  Luckily we had a pretty packed day in front of us, so it wasn't a big deal but my memory of this place was a lot higher than what it turned out to be this time around. That being said, it was still a cute place to take out of towners but hopefully they will step up their food because there is way too much competition in the NYC brunch space to stay mediocre.  Total bill:  $30/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp 

No comments: