Monday, August 21, 2017

Husk Visited 8/9/2017 4 Forks

Husk  7 Rutledge St., Nashville, TN 37210


Several years ago I visited Charleston, SC and I was so excited to to check out Husk.  But unfortunately I ended up having to cancel my reservation so I always had this place in the back of my mind as a place to come back to. While I never ended up back in Charleston, I did get the pleasure of traveling to Nashville for 24 hours and luckily I was able to squeeze this meal in before some work outings. 

While the location is kind of in a random area of Nashville, the decor was lovely - pure Southern charm.  It is an old Victorian House that they transformed into a restaurant but they still kept a lot of the finishes and character of it inside and out.  They have a great lunch menu where you can choose a la carte or also a Nashville Plate Lunch for $14 which includes a choice of 1 of 2 entrees and 2 sides.  I was all set to get the fried chicken plate lunch but then the waitress started describing the BBQ chicken sandwich ($14) in a mouth watering way that I got totally swayed into choosing that instead. For appetizers, we started with smoked trout deviled eggs ($8) and both Holly and Susanne got the cornmeal crusted catfish plate lunch.  

As a starter they bring out these pipping warm Parker House rolls and Jesus Christ are they delicious. The butter has pork fat in it, so you know it's good.  I could have eaten all 3 rolls but I was good and only ate 1 but don't say I didn't warn you when you try to inhale the whole basket.  I was excited for the appetizer as I'm always a sucker for deviled eggs and these were pretty damn good.  I originally thought the trout part was going to be in a roe topping but it was mixed in with the yolk instead. Either way, it was smokey and delicious and I was surprised that we got 5 pieces - I guess this is Nashville and not New York where you would have literally gotten 1 egg cut in half for that price.  It was beautifully presented and that was the case with the rest of our meal.  The catfish came out in this beautiful large mini tree stump-like plate.  I had a small bite of the catfish with the sweet onion relish and it was nice and tender.  My BBQ chicken sandwich wasn't plated quite a nicely but that wasn't a deal breaker at all.  I was expecting it to be kind of like a pulled pork sandwich and piled high on some kind of fluffy Texas toast but it was more like regular bread and cut up chicken instead.  The chicken was tender dark meat and was nicely sauced but I was kind of regretting not getting the fried chicken after all   Apparently they are also famous for their burger but after seeing it (it was a double cheese patty), I just couldn't bring myself to order it if I wanted to not fall asleep right away.

If our meal had ended here, I probably would have given it 3.5 forks - really solid but I was a bit let down by the chicken.  However, the dessert totally made up for it.  We got the brown butter soft serve ($9) which came with cocoa nips, caramel, and pecan.  I was a bit doubtful of this dessert and wanted a more traditional Southern dessert like peach or blueberry pie but this was out of this world.  It was sweet but not overly icky and it was just perfect.  This dish, the parker rolls and the deviled eggs definitely made it worth 4 forks.  The service was also fantastic - we had a super sweet and nice waitress who made the whole meal incredibly pleasant.  It was a great way to kick off my introduction to Nashville!  Total bill:  ~$80 for 3 people including drinks, tax and tip

No comments: