Monday, November 13, 2017

Maman Visited 10/15/2017 4 Forks

Maman 80 Kent St., Brooklyn, NY 11222


I'm not sure if there is honestly a more Instagram worthy restaurant in all of NYC.  This place is made for social media - it's rustic, adorable, they have great branding and design and the food is beautiful.  Plus it doesn't taste too bad either.  The downsides of the Greenpoint location is that the restaurant is on the top floor of a small cafe, there are only 2 actual tables upstairs and they are only open on Saturday and Sunday.  Oh and the service is quite slow but I'll let it pass because it was one poor gal working the whole area.  It's also super hot upstairs, so even though it was the middle of October, it was one of those freakish warm days where it was almost 80 degrees and the place has no air conditioning.   While the restaurant is only open Saturday and Sunday, you can go to the cafe most days and they have a take-out menu of mostly sandwiches and salads that you can partake in.

The theme here is rustic French - the menu has croissants, tartines and quiches to name a few.  I really wanted to get the deconstructed avocado toast with a fried egg but I had been making that a lot at home so I opted for the waffle-iron hashbrowns ($16) and Aarti got the quiche of the day ($12).  The rest of the menu had great sounding healthy stuff like grilled chicken couscous, Mediterranean quinoa salad but also unhealthy but delicious stuff like matcha waffles and croque maman.

My hasbrown dish was actually more of a salad than a true hasbrown dish.  It was a big bowl of mixed greens, smoked salmon, avocado, cucumber, dill, a small handful of crunchy hashbrowns and then a "perfect" egg - which was really just a very well hard boiled egg.  It was a great healthy lunch alternative and all the ingredients were fresh and tasty.  And yes, the egg was perfect.  I actually could have done without the actual hashbrowns but they did add a nice crunch to it. This place is well known for their desserts and baked goods, but I opted out of it in the spirit of trying to be better about my food choices.  But definitely consider it when you're there.

In an idyllic world, I could see myself coming here with a good book, ordering a cup of coffee and some croissants and sitting at one of their antique tables and swing seats acting all hipster and cool.  While that won't happen in the real world, I can see myself coming here more often, especially since it's a bit off the beaten path and a much quieter brunch scene than any place I've been to in the city.  Total bill:  $23/pp with tax, tip and juice

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: