Monday, December 18, 2017

Chennai Garden by Tiffin Wallah Visited 11/12/2017 3 Forks

Chennai Garden by Tiffin Wallah  127 E 28th St., New York, NY 10016



I feel a bit torn about this review because at first I enjoyed my meal but then a few days later both Aarti and I had what seemed like stomach issues and this is the only place I can link it to.  So while I can't pin point this place as the exact culprit, I have a bit of a suspicious eye on it. 

That being said, I always enjoy a nice outing to Curry Hill to experience the more mom and pop Indian food.  This place is very similar to Saravana Bhavan which is right down the street.  They both are more South Indian focused so don't expect any curries or chicken tikka masala type dishes.  Usually when I come to places like this with Aarti I just let her order and go to town, which is what I let her do here.  Unfortunately I can't remember all the things we ordered but in places like this we always get idlis and dosas, which we did here as well a bunch of other dishes that I can't bring myself to pronounce.  I know we definitely over-ordered, to the point where we felt like we really regretted our choices but in the end this is the type of food that you want to sample and try all different kinds of flavors and textures.   I fully acknowledge this review is a bit lame as I'm not giving you much specifics, but trust me, if you come here, just 1-2 dishes from each section and you'll be fine.

The clientele as well as the staff is all Indian which makes me feel like it's a bit more authentic and low key - it's pretty much the opposite feeling of going to a place like Paowalla or Junoon - both of which I enjoyed but you go to these places for very different reasons.  The food tastes like it's made from scratch and is what I would get if I visited someone's grandmother's cozy house vs. if I visited someone's grandmother's fancy palace.

I hope this wasn't the place that made us sick because I truly like to support local mom and pop restaurants - just not at the expense of my stomach!  Total bill:  $31/pp with tax and tip

No comments: