Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Diner Visited 11/19/2017 2 Forks

Diner  85 BroadwayBrooklyn, NY 11211


Ugh this review REALLY hurts to write because Diner is the OG of restaurants in Williamsburg.  It was here before any hipster or artist moved into the neighborhood and has remained a darling of the food blog world.  It put the Williamsburg restaurant scene on the map before there even was a scene.  I hadn't been in over 8 years but when Lav offered to come to BK for dinner, I thought it was worth a re-visit.  I remembered that they don't have a set menu and that it changes daily but I figured they would have something vegetarian friendly to eat. 

Their schtick is that they scribble the menu on the brown paper table mat when in all honesty they could just slowly recite it back to you.  Maybe I'm getting old but it's really dark inside so having them scribble all over the table wasn't helpful.  They should just go with a chalkboard or print out format.  As the waitress was telling us the dishes, we realized quickly that there was practically nothing vegetarian on the menu.  They had was a gem lettuce appetizer and a main dish of beans.  I mean I understand not having multiple veggie dishes but this was just sad.  Lav asked to see if she could get the onion rings on the side that they were offering with the steak but they said that they couldn't do it because they counted out the same number of steak to onion rings.  Lame.  But we didn't want to walk out, so we made do with what they had.  I got the burger that they were famous for because nothing else was really speaking to me and I figured a good burger is always a winner.

Unfortunately, everything about this meal made me sad.  The burger was dry and not medium rare at all.  I could barely taste the cheese and there was really no flavor to any of it at all.  The fries were super salty and didn't help the meal either.  Lav mentioned her dish wasn't good (I mean it was a plate of beans so how good could it really be?) and she barely finished it.  We tried to redeem the meal with a flourless chocolate cake which I thought was actually ok, but Lav wasn't having any of it.  The waitress was non-engaging and not really accommodating to our needs.  To top it all off, my burger and the bean dish were both over $25 each.  WTF?!  I can't give this place a total goose egg because I know it's better than this but this was really so disappointing.  Maybe 3rd times a charm?  Total bill:  $33.75

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: