Monday, January 29, 2018

Chez Ma Tante Visited 1/20/2018 4.5 Forks

Chez Ma Tante  90 Calyer St., Brooklyn, NY 11222


This place is one of THE hottest, most talked about restaurants this year so far.  It's in a random far corner of Greenpoint but it was still packed to the gills on a Saturday.  I got there right when it opened at 11:30 and they were nice enough to seat me before Aarti got there.  By the time she got there 10 mins later, the place was totally full.  So either make a reservation or go right when it opens. 

The food is described as French Canadian but there wasn't any foie gras in sight but apparently the old menu had an emphasis on organ meat and terrines.  But the main reason people come here for brunch is for the pancakes.  They were pretty damn good but so was everything else.  Aarti and I called this meal the meal of aioli because basically everything we had came with a healthy dose of aioli - but who doesn't love aioli?!  We started the meal with chips (fries) and aioli ($7), the pancakes ($9), I got the egg and sausage sandwich ($13) and Aarti got the Spanish Tortilla (with aioli).  The menu online is different than what they are serving (I'm always annoyed when restaurants do that) so just a heads up that what you see may not be offered.  What we ordered was definitely WAY too much food for 2 people but we felt like we had to just go balls to the wall and we hadn't seen each other in a few weeks and had a lot to catch up on. 

The chips were essentially large crispy potato wedges and they were cooked to perfection.  They were almost too large but you can just cut them up if you need.  They were seasoned well and quite addictive with the aioli - I'd recommend them if you have more than 2 people but it was a bit much for us.  The egg sandwich was divine - a fluffy egg base, thick cut homemade sausage patty on a soft delicious bun.  I could barely finish the whole thing because it was so filling but it was an extremely hearty and satisfying sandwich - even if there wasn't any cheese on it.  As for the main attraction, I wish I had more room for it.  The pancake comes with 2 huge flaps so it's more than enough for 2 people.  It's thick and fluffy yet somehow the outside is crunchy and crispy.  I don't know how they do it but it was unlike any type of pancake I've had before.  It was like a toasted pancake.  Sadly, neither of us could finish it and we had to leave an entire flap on the plate which broke my heart. 

Overall, the place has a lovely calming vibe and the waitstaff was super sweet.  I would definitely come back but scale back my order so that I could actually enjoy my experience - not that I didn't but we clearly ordered way to much for 2 people and we walked out of brunch feeling a bit heavy in tummy.  If I lived closer (it was about a 30 min walk for me), I could see myself here all the time and wanting to become a regular.  Or maybe I'll do it anyways.  Total bill:  $45/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: