Sunday, January 21, 2018

Williamsburger Visited 1/12/2018 3 Forks

Williamsburger 373 Graham Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11211



I had been tracking the progress of Williamsburger for a while because it was literally right across the street from me and because it took over this crazy old space in the 'hood that had been vacant for years.  The person who lived there was a hoarder who didn't take care of it and one day he had an "open house" and it was interesting to see such valuable real estate go to waste like that.  Fast forward several years later and this homey neighborhood joint opened up, much to my relief.  I'm glad it was something low key and not another hipster barber shop or tattoo parlor.

The bad news is that the day Paige and I went they didn't have their liquor license yet - they said were literally getting it the next day.  It's a bit of a bummer to have burgers with no beer but hopefully by the time you reading this  that has been resolved.  The menu is what you would expect from a place called Williamsburger - burgers, fries, sandwiches and other bar type food.   Although weirdly enough, we started with the potato and cheese pierogies ($7) since the waitress said they were delicious, I got the mushroom and swiss burger ($15) while Paige got the triple grilled cheese ($11).

The pierogies were pan fried and while they were fine, I wouldn't say they were amazing.  They tasted like any other pierogi I've had (gotta have it with sour cream) and I might even say that they were frozen and not homemade - not that it made it less tasty but it just didn't seem super special.   I would say the same for my burger.  I asked for it medium rare and it was close to the medium side but totally edible and not in a condition that I was going to make a stink about it.  They had a nice mix of crimini and shitake mushrooms but again there was nothing special about the mushroom they used or the way they were cooked (they were basically sautéed).   The dish came with a small side of diner-type fries.  Everything about this burger was absolutely just fine - it suited what we wanted (something quick, casual and easy) and it fits in with the neighborhood.  They don't proclaim to be anything fancy and sometimes I just don't need a $25+ burger (I'm looking at you Emily Loves Pizza).  I didn't try Paige's grilled cheese but it looked triple cheesey but then again, how hard is it to mess up grilled cheese?

If I didn't live less than 5 minutes away from this place, I would not make a trek out here but if I'm ever feeling lazy and want a simple beer and burger and want to roll out of my place in sweats, this place will do just fine.  Total bill:  $49 for 2 with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: