Monday, February 12, 2018

Maysville Visited 1/24/2018 4 Forks

Maysville  17 W 26th St., New York, NY 10010


I had known about Maysville for their nice brown liquor selection but I had never eaten there before.  So when Cicily was in town, it felt like it was an appropriate place for us to check out and celebrate since we usually go for some kind of BBQ/brown liquor kind of place when she's visiting. 

As expected the menu is heavy on the Southern flare - they've got gumbo, roasted oysters, dirty rice and then some non-Southern food like trout, tortellini and Arctic Char.  We started with the shrimp toast ($15), I got the chicken ($27) and Cicily got the Burger ($23) and we also split the Brussels Sprouts ($13) to get something mildly healthy and green.  In a very un-Southern manner, the food comes out fast and furious.  I think only in an Asian restaurant have I seen food come out more quickly.  

The shrimp toast was a nice starter, it kind of reminded me of the kind you get in Chinese dim sum. It was a little bit dry but we were both starving so it was a good bite to settle the stomach.  The chicken was shockingly delicious.  It's not that I had low expectations of the food here but the chicken was very moist and juicy.  It did not come on the bone but it was closer to a flatten piece of meat like a brick chicken dish.  It was a huge portion so even though I was hungry, it definitely filled me up quickly.  I didn't try Cicily's burger but it looked delicious and dripping with cheese, sauce and onions.  I did snag a bunch of her fries and they were like the salty McDonald kind of fries but in the best possible way.  The Brussels Sprouts were fine - maybe a ting over roasted but I love sprouts no matter how they come out. 

Overall, it was a surprisingly very pleasant meal.  Our waiter was awesome and super fun.  The line up of whiskey and scotches here can't be beat and if you're hungry, there are more than enough snacks or entrees to fill you up.  We didn't get to try any of the desserts but in true Southern style there was some super sweet sounding ones like maple bourbon brûlée.  Definitely come here for the drinks but I'd stick around for the food too.  The bar fills up quickly and it can be loud, so I'd get here as early as you can.  Total bill:  $88/pp with tax, tip and a few drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: