Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Joy Luck Palace Visited 5/27/2018 2 Forks

Joy Luck Palace  
98 Mott St., 
New York, NY 10013


As much as I love dim sum, there are few really consistently solid places in the city that I love.  When my mom was in town, I was willing to try some place that was different than my usual place (Golden Unicorn).  I'm not gonna lie, part of me was also drawn to this place based on their cute pig baos - I mean who can resist such an adorable thing?  Only thing is that I forgot that I actually don't like baos and schtick like this usually means that the food isn't that great.  I should have listened to myself. 

The space is typical of a dim sum place in Chinatown:  it's enormous, it's loud and the waiting process is painful.  When we finally sit down, I was less than underwhelmed.  I've shared tables in Chinese places before and I've turned a blind eye to some of the cleanliness issues but I couldn't get over either here.  The tablecloths were pretty dirty and it just felt like the place hadn't been cleaned in a while. 

Usually in places like this, I can get over stuff like that if the food is good, but it just wasn't here.  The carts were slow and I felt like the variety wasn't as great as other dim sum places I've been to.  As I mentioned I don't really like baos, so we didn't get the cute pig buns but I did see a few people get them.  Everything was super unmemorable, unimpressive and I left feeling that it was a wasted meal.  Even though places like Golden Unicorn can be hit or miss, they're generally a hit and there are so many other options in Chinatown than here.  Unfortunately I can't remember the total bill but either way, not really worth it unless you want an Instagram pix of the pig bun which is why I'm giving it 2 forks for their marketing effort. 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: